What's new
What's new

show me your shop-made grinder pedestal

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
decided to add another 8" bench grinder to the shop . before i fab another pedestal for it , i'd like to
see what others have done regarding materials, water containers , etc that might be more interesting and useful
than just an old truck brake drum and a piece of 3" pipe.

thanks

The backside has two wheels that can rotate from horizontal to vertical. Tilt the column back on the wheels and roll it away. The column is 5x5 inches square. Height is 34 inches.
The grinder on top is 10 inch with swing away circular trays on each side. I just use a small container of water on the tray(s).

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0916.jpg

The 10in grinder I bought from Rutland Tool & Supply (before MSC bought them). It was $100 brand new, because it did not spin. It was on a sale table at the front of the store. When I got it home I found out that the arbor hole in the casting wheel cover did not have enough clearance. A little sanding and then it was a $500 grinder. You'll never see a deal like that today from MSC.

I have re purposed not made a couple of cafe table bases for grinder stands. The table bases are generally 29" high and have a cast iron weight or the base casting itself is heavy.

For water pots, my 14" Hammond was missing the entire tray, I made a frame for a plastic bowl that bolted to the front of the machine. The frame is 3/4 flat iron bent in a vise to the bowls OD under the lip of the bowl. Plastic is nice because it is light weight, easy to clean and, cheap.

I will add some pictures later.

Steve

Why build when I can go to the used equipment dealer and buy a modified stand that no one wants :)

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I built this about 30 years ago. 2hp with 10" wheels and a enclosed timing belt drive. It's bitch to change drive belts but they last forever and it made the design a bit cleaner. It's filthy hog now but sure moves the metal and is smooth running.

Stuart

EDIT...looks like you just wanted a shop built pedestal pix..sorry.

DSCN0546.jpgDSCN0547.jpgDSCN0548.jpg

Never seen the point in a stand, but then im 6' tall and like em high, all i have ever had have been on brackets attached to the wall, need isolation mounts though.

Never seen the point in a stand, but then im 6' tall and like em high, all i have ever had have been on brackets attached to the wall, need isolation mounts though.

DO you mean anti vibration mounts? As one of mine mounted on the wall runs down it causes it's neighbour to shake! :eek:

Back