What's new
What's new

welding calculator

Cycle1000

Cast Iron
I found a decent one one esab's site but has anyone found one that would calculate $$per inch for different filler metals/processes?
Gary

excel (microsoft excel) is made to enter math formulas. basically it is used as a programmable calculator so once formula entered all you do is change the variables and press enter. takes a blink of the eye to recalculate hundreds of math formulas
takes about 10 seconds to enter a math formula. its well worth taking 5 minutes to learn how to do it

had boss come by on job site once said taking too long to weld and making the welds too big on 4"sq tubing 1/4 thick.
had to say 1/4" fillet welds is ok if no joint gap but if tubing has a 3/16 gap i was making weld 1/4 bigger or 7/16"
and field welding over head and vertical up slows down considerably if you have bad joint fitup with big gaps.
no many weld calculators mention that. they are assuming perfect joint fitup or gaps

Never even opened excel..ever. I am going to go out on a limb and guess 5 min is generous :)

had boss come by on job site once said taking too long to weld and making the welds too big on 4"sq tubing 1/4 thick.
had to say 1/4" fillet welds is ok if no joint gap but if tubing has a 3/16 gap i was making weld 1/4 bigger or 7/16"
and field welding over head and vertical up slows down considerably if you have bad joint fitup with big gaps.
no many weld calculators mention that. they are assuming perfect joint fitup or gaps

Yes a calculator would only be good for perfect fit up for sure. In this case everything will be perfect and articulated for flat
welds,
Thanks

Yes a calculator would only be good for perfect fit up for sure. In this case everything will be perfect and articulated for flat
welds,
Thanks

many books on procedures show typical rod size amps and part thickness and orientation and welding speed
but when it says use 7/32 7018 rod at 275 amps to weld 1/4" plate most times those are maximum possible with perfect joints. sure some factories take the time and effort to make perfect joints then welding can be often 10x faster. of course it takes time to make the perfect joint fitup
big difference using 7/32 7018 rod and using 3/32 rod. many welders mostly use 3/32 and 1/8 stick rod and rarely use 5/32 rod and often in 40 years never used 7/32 rod even once

Went to school with a friend that ended up welding for the rail road. Out in the middle of nowhere he was waiting for the fitter to grind on some track and...decided to pick his teeth with 7/32 rod. :skep:
Problems started when he placed is foot on the track. That was a helicopter ride and a month in the hospital. As a UA Steamfitter I cant tell you how many times I have seen people do that little trick. :nutter:

I can do a test for the estimation but my thinking is with so many weld robots out there, that the filler metal company's would have calculators. Would be fun to see the differences with different wire/gas rod combos.

Back