What's new
What's new

Welding courses in NJ?

MitsTech

Stainless
I recently added a very nice, barely used Hobart Tigwave 250 to my stable. I finally got around to plugging it in today, and I'm learning really fast... learning to resharpen tungsten electrodes that is! I'm also getting pretty good at drilling holes with it. :D

I'd like to take a basic welding course, preferably a part time night or weekend course in the central NJ area. My local vocational school doesn't seem to have anything like that, nor do I see anything at the local county college, at least not outside of a full blown college course.

Are there any sites that would list such classes? I know there are some in northern NJ, but many are just too far for me to go, gas being on its way back up to $3 and all :(

Mil, no, sorry I don't. I just remember someone here a while ago making a post about a school, but it was pretty far north for me, Union maybe?

If you go to the AWS homepage, pick the "Education" link on the top, then "School Locator", there are a few in NJ listed there. http://www.aws.org

I did find some classes in Toms River at the vocational school (adult class too), but it looks like they only run once a year, and being the page has not been updated since 2003, who knows if it's even still there. I'm going to E-mail them and see what's up but I have a feeling that will be nil.

Other suggestions are still welcome!!!

Pete,
I learned to TIG weld a number of years ago. I had been watching a neighbor TIG and decided I could not go on without one of those machines. The neighbor was a very good welder, but a big mouth and not a very good teacher.
I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up a copy of the book Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Handbook by William Minnick. It was very helpful at getting me going. Settings, what tungsten to use, positioning, etc.
Biggest thing with TIG welding, or any other welding for that matter, is practice.
Practice, practice, practice.....
I am not a great welder but I can do very good on steel. Aluminum just drives me crazy...

Scott

if you know of a good weld shop near you see if you can trade some general helper or other type work for some guidance and practice time.
imo you will get more bang for your buck than with a training program unless you have some very specific and technical needs.

First, to the person who E-mailed mea bout the classes in Warren County, I tried to reply to your mail, but it came back undeliverable for some reason. Thank you for taking the time to share that with me.

Unfortionately, Warren is about 80 miles away from me, quite a bit further than I am looking to travel right now.

Scott, I have been reading a lot of info on TIG welding, and learned quite a bit from it, too. But a book still can't tell you what you are doing wrong, and that is invaluable. I am getting better with it though...

PM, not a bad idea, perhaps I can barter some machine work for a few pointers.

Thanks!

axolotl, thank you!

I went to MCVS during high school for Vocational. At the time, the shop was in Asbury, then they wanted to seperate the schools by classification (culinary, industrial, etc). They moved it moved to Aberdeen, then I understand they auctioned it a year or two later.

I was completly unaware they had a welding course as I could not find the damn adult calander on the site. Looks like the next Welding 1 class isn't until fall though :(

Thanks for posting this up axolotl!

How far away from Piscataway are you? I am not quite sure what city it is in, either Piscataway or Edison , however I do know of a few who were quite pleased with taking welding courses at their voctech school at night. Said the guy teaching the course was a hardcore burner, with tons of industry experience. Used to laugh at a lot of the Wimps who complained when forced to weld overhead, and would relate stories of welding in boilers still quite hot to get them back online, and operating in 2ft deep soot!

I think it is middlesex vocational or something. I know that they said the class was focused first on stick, and then when you progressed they let you work with tig and mig, or do what ever else you wanted to learn.

Adam

Adam, I'm in the Howell area. Piscataway is about 45 minutes to an hour with traffic. That doesn't sound too far until you factor in 8-10 hours a day at work, an hour drive, two hour class, and an hour drive home. :eek:

I probably wouldn't mind the drive so much but I drive anywhere from 500-1000 miles a week for work as it is, and that's just GETTING to where I have to work.

Mits, Most of the vocational schools in each county offer a short basic course for welding. When I lived in Bergen County I went for a course at Bergen Tech in Teterboro. Course was about 90 hrs. The also had a 4 yr course. I have since moved to Ocean County and got there school course brochure. They offered a course last fall and a course this spring.

Where in Ocean? Is that the Toms River class? That isn't too far. I E-mailed them but the mail bounced for some reason.

Mits, Call this number and ask for Tom 732 281 2990. I had to get my welding tanks filled up in Toms River last week and talked to Tom about some welding. So happens he taught the welding course up in that area. He would know who to call and where it would be held. I tried looking for the night school course book with the programs, but I can't seem to find it. I keep searching.

Reggie, TToolm, thanks for the replies.

TToolm, from what I saw on the VoTech website from TR, the schedule was last updated in 2003 :rolleyes:

I'll give Tom a call tomorrow, thanks for the heads up!

TToolm, called today and Tom wasn't in yet. But whoever it was that I did talk to says Tom no longer teaches that class, and hasn't for some time??? :confused:

I'll have to make another attempt to contact the school .

Mits, Ocean County Voacational Tech. H.S
Adult Education Evening Program. 732-473-3100. I was on there web site tonight and they listed 2 welding course. Basic and advance. I think these course only run in the fall and spring. I tried to copy the link and post it here but either the puter or me got brain cramp. :rolleyes:

Back