What's new
What's new

Welding Helmet / Hood - I need a new one!

Gazz

Stainless
The hood that I am using now is one that came with the welder as part of a package deal. I don't know if it's me and my aging eyes or if the thing is just worn out. It is an solar powered auto darkening model and I have a tough time seeing anything before I strike an arc and after the arc is struck. When I'm welding, all I can see is the actual arc and I often wander out of my intended path or weld chamfer. There is one at a nearby gun shop that I have used which works well - easy to see before striking an arc and also easy to see what you're doing once you are welding - but nobody there can tell me who made it or where it came from so I have been looking on Amazon. Prices there range from about $40 to over $100 and I wonder how good the cheapo ones are. The cheap ones have good reviews, 4.5 out of 5 and I imagine the one at the gun shop is one of these but don't know. Has anybody here bought one of the cheapo ones and if so, are you happy with it? I typically try to support the local guys but the two area shops are only concerned with how much money they can gouge out of you and are really annoying to deal with.
Thanks for useful responses!

I bought the cheap "Northern Tool" auto darkening helmet 3 years ago for $40 or $50 and it is still working great. The only thing that would make me spend more is to get one with a "grinding" mode so I could use it with my angle grinder. I switch back and forth between the welding helmet and grinding shield quite a bit so I'd recommend getting one with that feature (This is my experience in my home shop, not a professional welder)

Have your taken it apart and cleaned the lenses and sensor? It's amazing how much it improves with a cleaning.

Be careful with these.

Harbor freight one works well for the budget but it has a foil warning label inside that reflects light into sides of your eyes and causes sunburn to surface...They gave full refund after 2 years.

Current one is a full face model by Lincoln I think.

Was not cheap and for this avoid cheap!

It takes batteries and since we do not weld a lot it does drain them.

Bought a tray of them on ebay so no big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I use a Jackson NexGen all the time, which I love. ($300) However I did buy a HF auto dark helmet on sale for a backup. (about $45).

3M speedglass range is good, plenty of options to chose from and they last really well. IMHO if your doing tig or mig especially if its varied work you need adjustable darkness, makes a world of diffrence to results.

I had been using a self darkening helmet from HF. It works as it should. My eyes, however do not. I have the same problem of seeing anything but the arc. A friend loaned me a very expensive Speedglas helmet. It solved some of the vision problems. The filter passes a wider spectrum of visible light. This helmet also had a fabric hood that blocked light coming in from behind. Yes, the higher end helmets give better visibility. Blocking light from behind is probably of equal value.

I don't trust the cheap import auto darkening helmets. One tip I heard a while ago is:

Right before the arc starts and the lens changes shading, blink your eyes. What have you got to lose. :crazy:

Thanks for those responses. I have taken the lenses out and cleaned them but it made no difference. I even polished the protective outer lens as it does get scuffed up. One thing the helmet I have does that is annoying is that every now and then it turns off the auto dark portion while you're welding! Just for an instance though and you get a blinding flash so maybe whatever circuit in there is has gone bad anyway. I can't believe the one at the gun shop is an expensive one and would be happy with one that worked as well as it does. I do mostly MIG and occasional TIG.

I don't trust the cheap import auto darkening helmets. One tip I heard a while ago is:

Right before the arc starts and the lens changes shading, blink your eyes. What have you got to lose. :crazy:

Does not matter, the harmfull emmisions are permanently blocked by the filter, the darkness is just like a brightness option on a monitor. UV degregation is the risky bit, over time it will lead to cataracts, just like working outside for a living some were bright!

Thanks for those responses. I have taken the lenses out and cleaned them but it made no difference. I even polished the protective outer lens as it does get scuffed up. One thing the helmet I have does that is annoying is that every now and then it turns off the auto dark portion while you're welding! Just for an instance though and you get a blinding flash so maybe whatever circuit in there is has gone bad anyway. I can't believe the one at the gun shop is an expensive one and would be happy with one that worked as well as it does. I do mostly MIG and occasional TIG.

If it's failing during a work cycle then bin it. Even a cheapy should have the following- response time adjustment, post weld delay and darkness shade for different processes and power levels. The front protective lens is a wear part. If it's scratched you won't see shit through the mask. Over here the cheap helmets come with a pack of ten spares, and I change it at least once a week if welding a lot. Probably says more about my splatter than the filter :D

Get a cheater lens to mount inside. It helps a lot.

And I second Doobin's advice "if it's failing during a work cycle then bin it" unless you can adjust the sensitivity or response time to fully eliminate this problem. Although it's not harmful in terms of UV exposure, this is completely unacceptable.

A decent Jackson, Speedglas, or the ones sold as "Miller" or "Lincoln" will cost you $300 or so, but will last you ten or fifteen years.
Being able to see is a pretty basic requirement for me, so I find that spending a bit more than Harbor Freight is a no-brainer.
I had a Jackson that lasted fifteen, easy, with very hard, every day use.
I am well past ten years on my current Speedglas.

Buy a good one.
It aint that much.
You will easily spend more on grinding discs, or end mills, that you throw away, in an average year in my shop.

I've had that happen before, but usually it was because I accidentally blocked the sensor. Typically the better helmets have more sensors so they don't get blocked as easily.

Even if the shade isn't completly darkened it will block 100% of the UV rays. So it's just uncomfortable and you'll see a spot for a while but you wont get flash burned.

My thanks to all of you.

I had 'sworn off' ever welding again after long years of cataract build-up to near-as-dammit blindness.

And then... correction to better vision than I'd EVER had (20/15, sub 1/4 diopter match L/R, no need of glasses, near or far.)

Loath to risk my new-found blessings... seems with a good self-darkener, it ain't so risky after all..

Bill

a few years ago i went into my local airgas to see about a new miller digital elite to replace my old second hand one with a bad sensor. the manager always looks out for me with good pricing and knowledgeable advice so talked me into trying the digital 'hobby' which is essentially the same as the digital 'elite' just with one less sensor (2 instead of 3)and a little less adjust-ability on the shade but for about half the price.
it has been my daily use hood for a while now and i love it.
nice large window, really nice head gear for people like me that fog up hoods with their big roman noses, auto off/on, adjustable shade and response time and with grind/cut mode as well which i honestly don't really use that much.
a dozen or so extra lens protectors, a cloth case to keep it in and a one year warranty for $150 or so.

it's lasted very well but i'm careful with my stuff though. i never set my hood down upside down, i try to be very cautious of keeping it clean inside and out, keeping sparks away, changing lens covers when needed, etc.
and i generally only use TIG fwiw.

i'm careful with my stuff though. i never set my hood down upside down, i try to be very cautious of keeping it clean inside and out, keeping sparks away, changing lens covers when needed, etc.
and i generally only use TIG fwiw.

Thanks, Aaron - only ever a middlin' hand with stick, I was (at one time) far better - an "artist", even - with gas, so TIG is wot I had on the bucket list to add for such little as I need.

Now .. all I have to do is avoid all those tiger stripe and lightning flash decorations on most of the hoods out there.

Rumour has it if you use that sort of hood, your are meant to get body piercings and ass-tattoos to match. Or maybe it is body tattoos and ass-PIERCINGS?

I ain't having EITHER, thanks. Skin has gone too thin and wrinkly arredy...

:)

bahahaha!
Bill,that hits close to home here as the only design he had on the shelf at the time was one of those god-awfull sticker flame jobs that looks like it came straight off the shelf at horror fright instead of from Miller. i've been on a mission from day one to completely cover it with stickers from friends shop's ;)
hope you had a good holiday

Back