What's new
What's new

welding hose crimping tool

metalmagpie

Titanium
I'm bringing up an old magnetic tracer torch pattern cutter machine. I have been making up hoses to length. I'm trying to cut some thick steel and the tip I have is called out for 100 psi cutting oxygen. I was having some problems so I made up a pressure gauge tee arrangement and measured pressure at the hose. Sure nuff, 100 psi at the regulator, only 80 psi at the torch. I turned it up to 120 psi on the regulator to yield 100 psi at the torch (while flowing cutting oxygen). All good - except then my hoses started blowing right off the barb fittings I'd crimped on.

I am using a current Western Enterprises crimper. It is the correct tool for the job. I realized right away it wasn't made very well compared to the ones I used to use in industry. I bought it from McMaster-Carr. I contacted them today and they immediately refunded the purchase price and told me they didn't want the tool back. Basically, it's garbage.

I don't see a vise-grip type crimping tool for sale that looks any different. Clearly these are very low quality import tools.

Do you repair welding hose? What do you use? Does anyone have an old vise-grip style crimping tool to sell me, one that says Petersen on the side? I need one that can crimp fittings onto 1/4" ID hose (1/2" OD).

metalmagpie

Which crimper do you have? I have had mixed results with the cheap vise-grip, and the hammer type. All the welding shops near me that make hose use the bench mounted lever type. I'm sure there is a hydraulic crimper out there, but I haven't seen one.

Is this the tygon or whatever hoses you were using on the tracer itself ?

I would second the oteker clamps

Interesting. Do you use the clamp over the ferrule or do you not use a ferrule at all?

Do you use the galvanized ones or the stainless ones?

metalmagpie

No ferrule, but two clamps if over a couple hundred psi

I have a few sizes in SS for marine application but mostly prefer regular plated. Although I have several hydraulic hose crimpers in our shop I like the ease of assembly and removal of the O clamps.

I was going to suggest a 3/8" line, and the Oetiker clamps should work well also. I have a huge surface mix torch that comes with those from the factory.

Well ???

Did you get it up to 100 psi yet ?
Cut quality ?

Keep your shirt on there, DD. I ordered a bunch of 3/8" ID welding hose and had to wait for shipment and in the meantime started working on something else and so I'm not working on my pattern cutter right now.

metalmagpie

Keep your shirt on there, DD. I ordered a bunch of 3/8" ID welding hose and had to wait for shipment and in the meantime started working on something else and so I'm not working on my pattern cutter right now.

metalmagpie

Awwww.....come on man....this is worse than a thread by wrustle.....:D

Back