Welding question - think vs. thicker wall steel tubing - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    I love the mig/tig debate... My favorite answer is, Why not both?Attachment 219555Attachment 219556Attachment 219560
    Wire fed tig welding is so much more fun than either process on its own. It takes a part or 2 to get it dialed in but then its all gravy. Clamp the torch in a stand and you have an almost automated setup.
    Box section has corners, has differing joint geometry, but am curious, can you truly setup a wire fed tig to do square box, say a T joint and not have to fuck with all the settings from doing the sides to inner corners?

Have never had the luxury of being even in the same room with a mig with any more than little or lots of inductance, i do agree though it should let you resolve the splatter issue, i have migged seriously heavy stuff and i did find in spray splatter could be significantly lowered, just never seen anyone do that on 16 gauge material.

2. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an old xformer type Linde SVI-400 power supply.

it has inductance.

Miller made a SVI mig supply, xformer type, 300 amp machine, with inductance
    control (along with slope & voltage)

Wire fed TIG....Like this ?
    TIG Welding Systems

4. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might have to fiddle the settings a little bit depending on the joint, more like adjust where the wire is pointed. Gotta have some kinda trade off, did you want to eat your cake too??

Inductance helps when you've hit the point that other settings and your technique have hit their limits. You can't turn the volts up anymore, its too hot. You cant balance the higher volts with more wire, it stubs out and makes spatter. You can't move any faster to make up the heat input difference from more volts/amps, you're not a robot...
    You find one volt/wfs combo that is almost perfect, and then you use inductance to get to the sweet spot of 0 spatter and high speed. Similar with spray arc, but it has its own tweaks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tip tig is its own slightly special critter...
    The whole wire feed system vibrates about. It makes the wire wiggle around and with the way the torch is set up it lands right in like 3 or 4 sweet spots. It has its value but more for large/long automated welds in picky alloys...
    I think the whole thing was in the $10k range last I looked. I wish I could talk the boss into getting one...