What's new
What's new

Westinghouse Welder

tinkertoy

Plastic
Hello,
I have a Westinghouse welding control box. The info on box is as follows - Style - CG67250
Ser # 153
115 volts AC_DC 2 amp
FSN3431-121-5878
Contract # DAAG11-68-C-1503
There is a military type multi pin plug, a single pin push-in plug on front. A 115plug and cord on rear of box.
I am wondering how I can use this welder in doing hobby projects?
Hope someone knows about this oldeeeee!
Thanks,
Howard

It may not be a welder, but a control box for a spoolgun. I have a 1962 Westinghouse spoolgun mig welder my dad bought new and i think it has the same box on it...Bob

Yup thats it, the same one i have. No sense buying the CD, there are no parts from Westinghouse anyway. The spoolgun is still made in more an upgraded way, i have a link to it...Bob

Can anyone help? I was just given a Westinghouse Alternating current Arc welder.
Type- Wt-4
style-1166250A
It has the plug-in style leads but they are torn up pretty bad. I had to re-wire the 220 plug to even see if it worked. Fortunatly it does. So now I need to find leads to even see if it will weld. Anyone know where I can find some?

Hi
The male ends for leads used on some older Westinghouse welders is what I think is the problem. As far as I know they are not made anymore and you won't be able to find them in a farm or welding supply.You might try ebay or older well supplied welding store for NOS. These are like the Tweco or dinze plugs found on current welders but different. I will see if I can get a name or photo of these. Maybe someone can ID them.
Andy

Hi Bob
What is the link to the spool gun? Where I work they have one of these spoolguns and it worked great. The problem is we ran out of contact tubes and can't find replacements for it. Maybe the one that is still made will use the same tubes. Thanks
Andy

i have a old airco spool gun still work great
if it broke id buy another 1 the miller spools are nice but they are kinda built cheep!
just my 2 cents

I use an ancent westinghouse 3 phase stick welder at school all the time. This is a pretty serious machine, and I wan tot get some manuals for the thing, so Ill check out the link posted above.

I believe the westinghouse welding division was sold to what is now ESAB, but Im not sure... they were definetly sold to one of the major players of today but I am not 100% positive which.

Jim

Hi CHUBBYBUBBA22
I think the lead ends you are looking for are Cam-Lok and were made in Cincinnati Ohio. The number on one of the ones I have is PT # F1012-65.The number is hard to read and the F might be a E. Hope this helps
Andy

hello113: Airco does not exist anymore, though their spoolgun still does. Profax currently makes a version of it and all the parts are interchangeable.

The miller spool gun is way better than the Airco. Of course the Airco/Profax is a 30 year old design. Though the cheap 3035/3540 spool guns from miller are kind of a joke. The current spoolmatics are nice. Available in air cooled or water cooled, 15 or 30'. Pretty easy to work on, rolls are easy to change. The moveable spool holder allows you to get a better view on what you are welding and feels a whole lot less clunky.

-Jerry

I have the MM185 which is now the 3035 spoolgun from Miller and it is a nice gun, except for the raping price of the little tips that you have to by from Miller. I did modify mine to use a standard Miller mig gun tip that i can buy for half the money. I have used mine for 6 years and welded stuff most people wouldn't ever do in both alum and steel...Bob

Here is a letter i got from Westinghouse a while back. I also got some phone calls from some people who worked at the welder division and it seems no one knows what happened to the welder division, it just vanished...Bob

During the 1980's and 1990's, Westinghouse Electric Corporation sold all its industrial businesses and focused on its media businesses. Through a series of transactions, Westinghouse became CBS Corporation, a media company.

In 1984, the arc welding business that was located in Sykesville , MD was discontinued. Perhaps Homewood Products Corporation, phone 800-777-1172, www.homewoodsales.com, would be able to assist you-—”IFWESTINGHOUSE MADE IT, WE SUPPLY IT AND WE SUPPORT IT — WORLDWIDE.” However, I talked to someone at Homewood Products a short time ago and he said he didn’t know what happened to the welder business. He believed it was just discontinued in 1983.

CBS doesn't have any information or products remaining from the historical Westinghouse businesses.

I can only suggest a search on the Internet. Perhaps, the American Welding Society could offer some assistance? See http://www.aws.org/about/.

Thank you for your interest in Westinghouse products.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 6:36 PM
To: Westinghouse Products Cust Service
Subject: westinghouse.com / Other

Comments: Where can i find some history on the old Westinghouse Welding machines. Thanks...Bob

aametalmaster
Thanks for the information on the West-ing-arc spool gun. I have one of these units and have been trying to find the information to hook it up to my welder.
All I have been able to find out on the internet so far, is that various versions of the same unit have been in use since WWII, that you plug it in to your stick welder, and that they are a very good unit.
I want to get mine working because I hate welding aluminum with my Lincoln 250 because I spend more time rethreading the wire than I do welding.
Bob

What kind of drive rolls are you using? Not V or knurled I hope. Should be U groove.

Teflon or Nylon liner?

Are you using aluminum sized tips?

Try using 5356 wire.

Loosen your tension. If it is birdnesting than its too tight.

macona,
I don't do enough aluminum to make it worthwhile to make those changes, if I can get the other unit working. The biggest reason I want to get the Westingarc working, is the flexibility of being able to use the spool gun at the greater distances from the power unit.
I have noted all your comments above, so that if I do want to use the Lincoln for aluminum that I will be able to do so. I would have to change the complete inner and outer liner on the machine, because the previous owner made a crappy repair on it that makes it impossible for me to remove it without wrecking it. I was using the metal liner because I didn't realize that you needed a special liner for aluminum.
The wire I was using was 4043.
Thanks for the information,
Bob

Inner and outer??? There is only one liner! Well as long as the liner is clean you should be able to use it for aluminum as well. Blow out the liner with air in the very least.

For quick jobs with aluminum get yourself a set of U-groove drive rolls. I think for your machine for 3/64 wire (Which is really the minimum you should push) KP674-3/64A is the part number. Use an over sized tip with aluminum as well. for 3/64 (.047) use a .052 tip. If you have a mill take a notch out of the tip halfway through and about a quarter inch back. This will stop the wire from sticking to the tip.

You machine uses just a standard mig gun with a tweco end on it. Really common so you should be able to find one on craigslist or ebay on the cheap.

Back