What's new
What's new

Welding Helmet - Reccomendations?

GisMo

Hot Rolled
I'm thinking about picking up a new helmet. I was thinking the Hornell Speedglas or the Jackson Nexgen. I like the large view with the jackson, but the spedglass helmets look better(imo), but performance is more important. Any suggestions? Thanks

Heh, I'll stick my neck out here...I'm still using the Huntsman "nod-head" version I bought back in 1993 (large window)

I know there are some great auto-dark versions out there but I've just never had the motivation or spent the money on one yet.

-Matt

For what it's worth. I use the an Esab Eyetech or a Lincoln type auto darkining. Both made by Optrel. They do not use batteries and are solar powered. I use these helmets in the field while repairing machinery. For tig welding in the shop I think the Hornell Speedglass helmets are the best. They have nice controls for Tig welding.

My newest & favorite helmet is a Esab unit that has a swichable shade range from 5-9 and 9-13. and a switch to turn off the auto dark lense for grinding. I like it alot. It also has good low amp tig performance. (does not turn on & off repeatadly. that is a problem with low end units)

I like the solar powered units because the battery powered units turn themselves off after 15-20 mins. If you are in the middle of a fab project & are busy fiiting parts the helmet turns off on you. I forget about it, strike the arc & the helmet says light. It is an annoyance to me. UV rays cannot penetrate the glass or anything. It is just bright.

The solar powered rigs turn on when needed & do not switch off. I guess it all boils down to user preferance. See if the local welding supply will let you try a few out. Or go to a local suppliers open house etc. They usually have demo equipment to try

I bought a new Speedglass couple years ago and love it, adjustable darkness level, adjustable trigger time, very nice. The replaceable plastic lens covers are cheap. great helment for the price
jim

As far as I know the Speedglas 9002X has as much viewing area as the Nexgen.

I was debating between the 2 when it was my time to buy a helmet. Most welders I know use a Speedglas, they're well suported in my area. Nobody had Nexgen's, so I went with speedglas and I love it.

I have owned a Speedglas 9002X, and a Miller BWE hood as well. I must say that the Miller BWE is the best hands down. It also comes with a NICE welding hood bag, and extra lenses/etc.
The Miller BWE and Speedglas both had equal performance in my opinion, however, the Miller BWE has a much more comfortable feel to it, and it is $30 cheaper too.
The Miller hoods come in many color schemes as well.
Once you go to an auto dark hood, you'll NEVER go back to noddin your head....

i also use a speedglass the only complaint about auto's for me is there's no clear glass on them for grinding or wire wheeling.but it's only an inconvenience for me at work where we have to clean or grind all of our welds for the x-ray. the auto is a shade 5 when off and i need clear to see well.we also buddy weld alot so i use one with the most sensors so it dosent flash off and on when the other guy has the arc on the other side of the tube.they make an auto that fits a standard hood,solarglass i believe,but i still mostly use a standard nod down hood with a gold lens,the autos for tight spots.

I believe Speedglas has an option called Flexview where you can lift up the welding module and look through clear glass instead. I've ordered one so I should know in a week or two

never used an auto darkening hood in 25 yrs fabricating but recently borrowed a friends while tig welding up some 5" sched 80 ss pipe for him. things were going great until the shadow of the weldment fell accross the sensor and I found myself wide eyed and nose to nose with 190 amps of bright white light.
I know they have their uses and there are probably better models out there but went back to doing the nod in my 20 year old $37 huntsman.

Had never used an autodark before last year, then got a quick turn around job for the Pentagon that had a couple hundred short TIG welds inside some aluminum channels for a ventilation system. Built the price of a Miller Xlix into the bid and have been happy with it, given I can go months and not weld anything. The auto dark is different to get used to. For instance, it goes to sleep, (turns off automatically to save the battery) if it has not been exposed to welding flash for 15 minutes. So set it down, do some grinding, etc, put it back on and forget to punch the button, and it is real bright! :eek: Other than that, I like the setting range and find it comfortable and very nice to use for welding in close or around obstructions.

smt

Do they offer the magnifying lenses for the auto-darkening helmets? I wear bifocals and welding has become a assache for me.

Yes, the have mag lenses for almost any hood these days..
I still say the Miller BWE is much nicer than the Speedglas. Comfort, and accessory options too. Hornell (3M) needs to get with the program and drop their price to $250 like Miller, and they also need to throw in extra lense covers (inside and out), and a helmet bag like Miller does....
Who wants to pay $30 more for a hood when you can get all this with the BWE?
NO, no affiliation with Miller. Just a satisfied customer..

Do they offer the magnifying lenses for the auto-darkening helmets? I wear bifocals and welding has become a assache for me.
I got a magnifying lens for my Speedglas auto helmet, whilst welding at the bench with no obstacles it worked "ok", although it was a little odd having the lens so far from the eye, I thought I could get on with it given time....then I found that when I lifted the helmet to check something I needed my specs to see the damned thing ! :rolleyes:

When it came to doing some frame repairs where I could not get a straight line of sight it was useless....as you try to look slightly sideways across the lens (which is effectively 2 lenses joined together) it sends your vision cross eyed, :( it was quickly abandoned & I reverted back to a cheap pair of reading specs with which I can still see with the helmet up.

The Speedglas auto helmet is superb in my opinion, but I have never used any other brand for any length of time.

regards

Brian

I have used a basic small window Jackson auto-dark for years, still on the original battery. I still don't see the need for a "big window".

I have tried all different type helmets and reach for my Accu-Strike when I want to do a job. Here's why:

1. Big 3 x 5 1/4 CLEAR lens. Not shaded like auto darks.

2. I've had this helmet for close to 10 years and it still works fine. No Batteries going dead, no sensors to worry about, no problems with low amp tig, no worrying about welding in cold weather.

3. Works great for grinding. Just lock the visor open and go to it. No fiddling with sensitivity settings.

Here is their website: accustrike.com

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

My Speedglas comes with a hardhat which is very comfortable. I no longer need to wear a cap because the hardhat gives me a lot of protection.
I am one of those who constantly is bumping my head climbing around on structures. This Speedglas has eliminated many knots that I used to put on my bald head.......pg

Back