What's new
What's new

What arbor size on angle grinders used in Africa (or anywhere outside the US)

bryan_machine

Diamond
Folks outside North America - what is the typical arbor size on angle grinders? (In the US I think it's generally 5/8-11)

The goal is to be able to buy some disks to fit an angle grinder (purchase in US) and ship them in to Uganda.

Not out of USA but I used to buy wheels with hubs that were threaded for BOTH 5/8-11 and the metric closest equivalent. They were meant to thread on either spindle. Once down on the locating part of the spindle they were just fine.
Why not just get wheels with no hubs so they use the nut that comes with the angle grinder? These are a 7/8 hole or probably metric equivalent.

You don't know the context Thermite - and a large part of the time they quite literally want to be told what to do. That said, this whole thing is very in-country producer and product end user focused.

You don't know the context Thermite - and a large part of the time they quite literally want to be told what to do. That said, this whole thing is very in-country producer and product end user focused.

Give Thermie a break. He was trying to arrive at Impractical Machinist but missed his mark and landed here. Lacking any machine abilities he was unable to fix his vehicle and is thus stuck. Sigh.

Smartass answers aside, there' a member here that does a lot of work in Africa but his name escapes me.... JasonPAtkins or something like that. Anyhoooo, I bet he'd have a relatively informed answer for you.

IMO just get disks meant for a nut. If the bore size is different make a spacer bushing. This will give you far more flexibility and will be far cheaper for disks.

My colleague measured, and what they have is indeed M14. And they DO have the arbor nuts - so the open center option is indeed viable. Attempts to find the kind of disk (sanding flapdisk) needed for the specific task have so far failed - but lots of searching is required. Anything we send in will likely be open center (use an arbor nut)

My colleague measured, and what they have is indeed M14. And they DO have the arbor nuts - so the open center option is indeed viable. Attempts to find the kind of disk (sanding flapdisk) needed for the specific task have so far failed - but lots of searching is required. Anything we send in will likely be open center (use an arbor nut)

Have a picture of what you are looking for? I could ask our local supplier.

Strostkovy - just looking for a flap wheel - the problem is finding it *in Uganda*. (They're easy to find in the US, I have boxes of them, I'll bet you do too.) [Does your supplier happen to have an outpost in Lira, Uganda? Or Kampala, Uganda?] Don't know the size just yet, but imagine a 125mm diameter 40grit sanding flap disk would do.

[Or are you saying your supplier could provide them with M14 threads? That'd be nice, but I think we'll buy open center and using the arbor nut - depending on what we find in Uganda.]

I randomly stumbled on this ebay listing for a wire brush that does 5/8-11 AND M14.
Hitachi 3" Twist Knot Cup Brush For Corded Grinder 5/8"-11,M14x2.0 Arbors-New 754005292006 | eBay

Here is the text of add:
Up For Auction Is One Hitachi 3" Twist Knot Cup Brush 729200 for Corded Grinder Fits 5/8"-11 And M14x2.0 Arbors-Brand New.
Shipping Is $6.00. Payment By PAYPAL. Ships To U.S. Only.

Edit:
A buddy of mine had a friend in Kampala that runs a large metal fab shop, I can ask him to see if they use flap wheels in their shop and if so where do they get them. Let me know if that is helpful.

Strostkovy - just looking for a flap wheel - the problem is finding it *in Uganda*. (They're easy to find in the US, I have boxes of them, I'll bet you do too.) [Does your supplier happen to have an outpost in Lira, Uganda? Or Kampala, Uganda?] Don't know the size just yet, but imagine a 125mm diameter 40grit sanding flap disk would do.

[Or are you saying your supplier could provide them with M14 threads? That'd be nice, but I think we'll buy open center and using the arbor nut - depending on what we find in Uganda.]

I thought you were trying to buy them locally and ship them?

I was offering to assist with forwarding them to Uganda.

Back