What's new
What's new

What is the best way to bolt into asphalt?

jimmysgarage

Cast Iron
Maybe an odd question for this forum... Not sure where to post it otherwise.... I fabricated a bicycle rack for a local business. Today was installation and my contractor had the issue of using wedge type anchors holding secure in asphalt.

I called a few contractors and suppliers to find out what would work. I heard epoxy, but it seems that would not hold to the dirt underneath. I heard sleeve type bolt, 16" rebar spikes, 1/2" plate...

What would you use?

Thanks! JG

I think you should contact the asphalt manufacture. There are different types and thicknesses. There may be no one solution.

If you are lucky, the asphalt is a veneer over concrete.

Failing that, you may need to remove small areas of asphalt, install the auger-type mobile home anchors, and then patch the asphalt.

You cannot stop a thief, only slow them down.

Good Luck,
Steve

I have found that with the exception of installing light decorative items there is no good reliable way of anchoring to or in asphalt. You have to anchor to what is under the asphalt. In dirt you need to cut out the asphalt in an area larger than each pad of the rack then use a post hole digger to make a suitable hole for concrete. If I was installing it would be no less than 1ft deep for each pad. The rest you can figure out.

We make and install decorative and pipe railings every week. Several years ago I quit using expansion and sleeve anchors when Red Head went Chinese. We use a concrete drill and turkey baster to make and clean a hole then shoot in some quick set epoxy and a cut to length stainless threaded rod. Never had a rust problem since and the epoxy is super strong.

Walter

I have found that with the exception of installing light decorative items there is no good reliable way of anchoring to or in asphalt. You have to anchor to what is under the asphalt. In dirt you need to cut out the asphalt in an area larger than each pad of the rack then use a post hole digger to make a suitable hole for concrete. If I was installing it would be no less than 1ft deep for each pad. The rest you can figure out.

Pretty much our experience as well. We make advertising/bus stop benches for one of our main customers and they always mount them to a concrete pad; usually installed specifically for the bench. They've tried to save money in a couple locations by anchoring to asphalt but nothing works well. Putting in the auger type anchors is almost as much work as putting in a concrete pad and if you don't get them in exactly the right place the protruding studs won't line up with the mounting holes in the bench...

Thanks for all the replies!

I too wanted to bolt to concrete but that is out of the owners budget. There is two end pieces that are existing and are bolted in at this point. They don't move much, as is seems they were installed with sleeve type anchors. The units I made will fit between these end units, so we intend to weld a long section of angle from one end unit, to the new ones and the other end unit. We will also use sleeve anchors or spikes to anchor the new units down as well. With one massive piece, over 13' long, it will be about as solid as we can get it given the circumstances....

Thanks once again!
JG

Back