What's new
What's new

White Cast Iron welding

As a place to start, Moldenke in Principles of Iron Founding (1917) gives the composition as:

Silicon: below 0.75%
Manganese: above 0.20%
Sulphur: below 0.25%
Phosphorus: below 0.75%
Total carbon: above 2.50%

He notes there is no graphitic carbon due to low silicon. (that's why its white!:))

I.E., you are trying to weld something that is at least 2.50% carbon, and possibly as high as 3.75% carbon - all chemically combined.

John Oder

castiron.jpg

I want to watch somebody drill white iron for a lockstitch repair. Last time I had to drill white iron, it was just a layer where some past bonehead had burnt a nickel rod into my lathe apron casting to repair a crack (which didn't work) with no preheat or proper cooling. This was maybe a 1/8" thick zone, which was like drilling volcanic basalt. I burnt up three 1/4" drill bits getting through that little area, after which, it was back to typical soft sweet cast iron. I really doubt you could lockstitch for this reason alone, unless you could get the part in a mill and use a carbide endmill or solid carbide drill(s).

I can't imagine how you could get a good weld in white iron, but I'm game to learn something.

Update so far,

I purchased from Muggyweld.com and I have sample rods coming from 2 other sources. One also is sending brassing rod. I'll upadate and provide pics when the pieces come in.

Jay

Back