What's new
What's new

Who has a Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD

Superbowl

Hot Rolled
Hi Guys,

I picked up a Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD (Home Depot model) in a package deal on a bunch of other equipment and it is not working right. I am thinking the problem may relate to the voltage setting knob. This knob's label has five settings labeled A-E that span 180 degrees around the knob. The knob moves with clicks and positive stops.This seems to me to imply that this knob should turn only 180 degrees with five positive stop clicks. However my knob turns about 500 degrees with 14 click/stops.

If you have one of these welders, does your voltage knob make only the five clicks and only turn 180 degrees?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I picked up a Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD (Home Depot model) in a package deal on a bunch of other equipment and it is not working right. I am thinking the problem may relate to the voltage setting knob. This knob's label has six settings labeled A-D that span 180 degrees around the knob. The knob moves with clicks and positive stops.This seems to me to imply that this knob should turn only 180 degrees with six positive stop clicks. However my knob turns about 500 degrees with 14 click/stops.

If you have one of these welders, does your voltage knob make only the six clicks and only turn 180 degrees?
I don't have one, but I figure some input is better than none. I would take it back to H-D for an exchange. If it was a display model, someone probably forced it. Knobs like that are usually just standard potentiometers with detents and plastic stops added. Hard to get the good switches unless you but old or industrial.

What's the welder doing when you try to run a bead? If you keep the wire speed the same and adjust your voltage and your results don't change, your voltage adjustment isn't working. Could be a loose connection, but like I said, if it's in warranty I wouldn't bother fixing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I’m confused. A-d would be 4 stops, Abcd?
I googled that rig and it shows A,B,C,D,E.on the power knob and 1-10 on the wire feed speed.

I dunno

Manuals are available in PDF form on the Web.

I had one at one time - no way it had 14 amperage taps.
Thsts what I figured. I'll say it again; WARRANTY.

I'm guessing the OP bought it with a bunch of used equipment - and it may be long past warranty? He could likely open it up and make sure the knob is synced with the right taps and use it without replacing the selector switch.

Equipped with gas it was a decent light duty MIG welder. Not sure what Lincoln would have cheapened to make it a lower-priced Home Depot model. A vague recollection is that they replaced some metal wire feed parts with plastic at one time.

I don't have one, but I figure some input is better than none. I would take it back to H-D for an exchange. If it was a display model, someone probably forced it. Knobs like that are usually just standard potentiometers with detents and plastic stops added. Hard to get the good switches unless you but old or industrial.

What's the welder doing when you try to run a bead? If you keep the wire speed the same and adjust your voltage and your results don't change, your voltage adjustment isn't working. Could be a loose connection, but like I said, if it's in warranty I wouldn't bother fixing it.

Can't take it back. I think it is about 8 years old when I got it used two weeks ago.

I’m confused. A-d would be 4 stops, Abcd?
I googled that rig and it shows A,B,C,D,E.on the power knob and 1-10 on the wire feed speed.

I dunno

Sorry, I just corrected my post. You are correct it is A-E with 5 click/stops. I fried my brain working out in the heat all day.

Can't take it back. I think it is about 8 years old when I got it used two weeks ago.
Easy enough to replace a switch. Don't worry about it. There's probably a part number on the switch.

Lincoln has pretty good customer support. Would be worth a call
Cheaper switches would be one place to cut corners fo a HD label
Very true. Comparing a new Lincoln tombstone to an old one is night and day when it comes to the switches. The ones at HD and Lowes feel like they use a light switch for the power switch.

I had one a couple decades ago. The 140 went a-d and the 180 added an E option. They're common enough you should be able to get a replacement part. Not terrible for what it is.

just junk it, arent worth the hassle unless you do sheet metal spot welds only.

...and maybe the OP just wants if for that ?
I have qty(2) of the little 120 vac Lincoln 100 MIG welders,
and that's what they are for, BTW if you can only doo spot welds with them, you need to work on your skills.

My local Home Depot does not stock this welder but I found that a nearby Lowes had a similar one. I went there and was able to open the box and reach in to check the switch operation. As I suspected, it is only suposed to turn 180 degrees with positive click stops for each letter. With that knowledge I ordered a new switch for about $50 including shipping. It arrived today and I installed it. That fixed the problem so now the welder works. I doubt parts would have been available if this was a Chinese import. It is nice to know that Lincoln has parts for their products.

Back