What's new
What's new

Who makes a good layout protractor?

Cole2534

Diamond
I've been using a Starrett, but I'd like something less delicate for use around the welders and torches. Does anyone make something similar that wouldn't make my eyes water if I struck an arc on it by accident?

A little thicker blade wouldn't hurt as it's often used as a guide for the plasma torch. Bonus points if it's aluminum.

I've looked at Empire, trig jig, and trick tools.

Thanks!

I've been using a Starrett, but I'd like something less delicate for use around the welders and torches. Does anyone make something similar that wouldn't make my eyes water if I struck an arc on it by accident?

A little thicker blade wouldn't hurt as it's often used as a guide for the plasma torch. Bonus points if it's aluminum.

I've looked at Empire, trig jig, and trick tools.

Thanks!

Strike an arc on a Starrett?

If/as/when you choose to put a layout tool in harm's way like that?

Time for some jigs and fixtures 101 tasking.

Go lay-hands on some aluminium you like in the thickness you like, and make up a batch of several "expendables" to suit the shop-floor need. Might want to consider FR4 or carbon fiber so it ain't as easy to strike an arc on it to begin with?

No need of a dividing / ruling "engine". OK to cheat and use store-bought "degree wheels" or cut-ups from them as attached parts.

Even easier, yah cut the same angles often. Make fixed, "dedicated" ones, prominently mark - even colour-code those - and reduce risk of error as a beneficial byproduct.

Design something and have the parts laser cut out.

Work with the laser shop, they can do etching as well for the graduations.

Yup, I won't even touch "the best protractor" because the best one in your shop is the ones the people in your shop need & want.

Make some mockups get some input.

and remember that in your shop, this tool is a consumable.

But it's o.k., bang these things out, and always have some spares on hand (maybe the aluminum arm will need more replacing)

Torch as in O/A or plasma? If you are using an O/A, can you switch to plasma? Its cheaper, and with a Hypertherm with a drag tip, a piece of sheared sheet metal makes a dandy template. When you ding both edges, throw it out and get another. For one or a couple of usages, a welders wrap a round cut to shape will work fine. I could easily see a couple of pieces riveted together and set with your Starrett, away from the fire.

Back