What's new
What's new

Wiring an Amada RG-50 press brake, question about the stinger leg

gary-sc

Aluminum
Just got a new to me 1984 Amada RG-50, I have the manuals but can't find instructions for wiring it up with a stinger leg (which I have). My Geka iron work had clear instructions for which terminal you should have a stinger leg wired to, but I can't find that info on the Amada. Worried that the stinger on the wrong terminal will fry the controller. Does anyone out there have direct experience with this on Amada machines? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Stinger leg, you mean the high leg on a 230v set up? If that's true, it's simple. Just connect it to the 1 leg that does not connect to the transformer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Does it use a neutral in the cord-set?

I would expect 240vac/480vac on all combinations of phase-to-phase.

Seems odd that it would be wired with a neutral, because then it couldn't be used on 240/480vac delta with no neutral wire.

Thank you both, no neutral on our 3 phase, the Amada book says it will run with or without one.

Bondo, thank you very much that's exactly what I needed to know. I thought it might be the transformer that couldn't take the high leg (I grew up calling them stingers.)

Last edited:
On a properly wired machine it makes no difference where the high leg is placed, as all power is leg to leg. There is no way to find the high leg when checking leg to leg. High leg placement matters if a neutral wire is required, which means there is power from leg to ground.

Back