What's new
What's new

2B36 Devlieg questions

gbent

Diamond
I purchased a 2B36 Devlieg, and just finally finished installation and powering it up. I have a parts manual, but no operators manual. It seems to be a sweet machine, it came from an aircraft manufacturing plant. It has the turret tool stop, and 4 axis sony readouts. The spindle trams square, and I am waiting for the machine to settle in before final leveling.

I had a couple of questions I hope someone can help me on. What size of drill can I push on mild steel, and what will give if I over-do it? If there is a clutch in the head I didn't see in the drawing I would feel much better about pushing it. The other question is about the power drawbar. There seems to be some type of knock-out, as I can hear it hammering after the drawbar is unthreaded, but it isn't strong enough to push out the tool. The drawing shows a screw and spring accessable on the bottom of the head. Is this an adjustment for the knockout?

I would also appreciate any tips or cautions on Devliegs.

Thanks
Glen

Glen,

Can you post a photo of it? I ran a 4B60, 4K96, and a 5K120 through much of the '80s. It wasn't very often that the (T50) tools would eject without a little nudge rom a 3lb deadblow. ;)

I always felt that the DeVliegs were the most versatile machines in the shop, right up there with the jig grinders in versatility.

There was a group of ex- DeVlieg employees in Michigan that had the forsight to purchase most of the spare parts and all of the engineering drawings in the late '80s I think. They started a company called Day-Moore origionally and continued servicing DeVliegs as if nothing happened. I have been out of that end of the business for so long, I'm not sure that they are still in business. If they are, you would do well to locate them.

Good Luck!

Gbent,

Devliegs are great jigmills.
I would take it easy and drill out in steps.
This is really a finishing machine that you have.
It is a jigbore/mill.

The power draw bar only needs you to pull in till she locks once. Don't repeatably hit the
drawbar in and expect it to hold better.
You'll end up replacing it with a new one.

A dusting of powdered graphite on the shank will release the adapters on the larger machines every time.

We have a 3B48" soon to be excessed. It may go for a couple hundred bucks.
nixdenny just posted a picture of a machine just like the 3B48

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000991;p=1#000005

Also have a 5K144" cnc.

You lucky dog!

kap

Finding a 2B36 cheap has been a fantasy of mine since, as an employee of a DeVlieg distrbutor, I had a tour of their "Fair Street" plant in Royal Oak MI.

What you have is a horizontal spindle jig borer, painstakingly hand fitted and assembled. The quills were individually hand lapped to fit their machine, with clearances in the range of .0002" !

Lucky bas...I mean, Lucky dog!!!

OMcG

I agree with Kap. I ran 2B, 3B &4B'b for Vought Aircraft and they are fine machines. When drawing up the tool don't over tighten, get off the button on the frist lock up. Yes, very sparing graphite rag whip prior to installing tool in spindle. One of the weak points is that the draw bar thread can twist off after using 16 hour days in about 12 to 15 months. Devlieg has a replacable "spud" to repair this falt.

Tom

Shot in the dark, any idea where the hell fair st is in royal oak? My family has lived in royal oak since the war ended.

When we were leasing space from another company, they got a gov't contract. Machines came in the deal. The DeVlieg they got was a bigger one. Don't remember the model. It came with the Master Erickson 50 taper holder that accepted 40 taper. I remember the guy always beating on the tools with a dead blow to get the tooling out. We acquired a bunch of the 40 taper tooling and used the master holders for our Cincinnati Cim-X and Willis Microcut.

thanks. all the old paperwork information ive found just says fair st royal oak. i found a fair street in ferndale. it has train loading access so it may have been there and could have been part of royal oak township before all the cities chopped it up and incorporated.

edit, yea looks like 450 fair ave. which shows the place i thought. thanks!

Western Machinery and Steel World ... - Google Books

Back