Acra Turn Lathe
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Acra Turn Lathe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boss is looking at one of these...there is so many lathe manufactures out there nowdays I dont even know half of them..anyone had experience with one of these?....any good?...would be a 18 or 21" x 60" were looking at...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

also, ive never used a lathe with a foot brake...whats the idea there?..does the spindle freewheel when you shut it off and you have to press the brake to stop it?...that would suck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used an copy of a HLV-H that was made by Acra. It was a pretty nice lathe.

Foot brakes are nice to have. When you hit the foot brake it shuts the motor off and then applies a disk brake. If you just shut the machine off with the lever it usualy still stops fairly quickly.

It's very nice to have that brake when threading It makes stopping close to a shoulder much easier and with a little practice you can use faster rpm's. Also good when using big taps that just turn the spindle even in the lowest gear.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Acra-Turn 1340. I bought it from where I work for cheap. It had some noise in one of the gear ranges, so I knew I would need to fix it up some. Well I took the cover off and found that it needed 4 gears. Some of the teeth were gone. I dunno what happened. Some of the shifting mechanism had been brazed back together, so somebody tried to fix something. Well I contacted Acra in California for the gears. I talked to Hank Su. I faxed him the parts breakdown and indicated the 4 gears that I needed. I recieved them, no problem. 4 gears were $430 total. Not bad at all. I was surprised that I was able to get any gears at all! Try that with a Grizzly lathe. Not likely. Acra makes good stuff. And parts support is there, which is rare for Tiawan lathes. I like my Acra-Turn lathe. --Doozer

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i have an acra turn 21x120 i had it one month "new" when a co-op student opened the 3 jaw to wide for the ways then turned it on at 18 rpm "15 hp" it twisted the countershaft splines warped the bed knocked the head stock out of align, and cracked the chuck body. But it still runs, you just cant turn anything on it nor change spindle speeds. the problem is getting replacement parts. i will say the two speed tailstock crank is nice for core drilling 2-1/2 diam. price wise it was $19,000 at tinsley tool in knoxville tn.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Acra Machinery Inc.
    2050 N. Durfee Ave.
    S. El Monte, CA 91733
    Tel: (626) 279-9150
    Fax: (626) 279-1540
    Hank Su

Try for parts here.
    --Doozer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

anymore input from people that have used these machines,in regard to quality and such, would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bump

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As the latest caretaker of Doozer's lathe, I want to inform him the new gears are in. Had to buy a rt angle snap ring pliers to get on cluster off but basically straightforward disassembly.

11. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, holy historical hilarity!! a 15 YEAR update, amazing. there is hope for my projects after all, LOL!