What's new
What's new

Alloris Question

castiron

Cast Iron
Hi All, Best wishes to all!
Are the center lines of the BXA morese taper
tool holders and the Boring bar holders the same?
Example counter bore, rotate tool holder 180 degrees and bore, will they be in same center line without moving the saddle.
Also I am considering the BXA-I Indexable(good price with J&L 25% discount)Does any one use one and what do you think about it.
thanks mac___

I have 3 Aloris and one Dorian. The dorian had poor repetability at first, it would seem to lift the tool holder slightly. After using it on my oldest lathe for a few months it quit doing this. The Dorian is better than the Aloris for cutting bronze and cast iron because it sheds the small particals where the Aloris gets abit clogged. the dorian has a different locking system, instead of the wedge it has a tab that moves straight out of the posts body. The Dorian stays locked better under vibration better than the Aloris. If you have a lathe that you do nasty stuff on like cutting welds and cast iron, the Dorian might be somthing to consider.
Over all I prefer the Aloris.
Does anyone use the DTM system?
Don

"... the German Parat has a similar system but no full wedge like Aloris ..."

This system is essentially a duplicate of another, earlier Frank Sirola design.

See U.S. Pat. 2,403,405, F. Sirola, 7/2/1946.

The current Aloris tool post is U.S. Pat. 2,972,272, F. Sirola, 2/21/1961.

(Sirola, spelled backward, is Aloris).

Thanks for the tid-bits about Sirola,
And shared experiences by Metal Dr. and Donie ( cool trueback adapter Donie) I am in the planning stages of making an adapter from D1-4 Pratt Bernhard Lever Operated Collet Chuck to a D1-6.
As Aloris was patented in 1946 and still quite popular today, I feel quite secure in my BXA-I Indexable purchase. Came really close on the Multi Fix French? Swiss system. If the exchange rate was better it might have happened.The thing I like about the Aloris is that in the future I will be able to make my own holders.I would have been hard pressed to do that with Multi Fix,I am sure many of the Masters that frequent this group could make the Multi Fix holders no sweat.

Any how nobody has answered my original questions about Center Line and the Single Bolt clamping on the Indexable at each station or what they think about the Indexable
smile.gif

Best Regards mac_________

Hi Mac, Judging from my AXA holders, "maybe." A visual comparison of a Yuasa boring holder and an Aloris MT holder has them on the same axis. You might also check the Aloris site -- last time I checked they had 2D drawings for the holders. Finally, I'd assume that they wouldn't hold this dimension any better than a couple thousandths, even if intened to be colinear.

I use the BXA, am absolutely pleased. Repeatability, a tenth, I don't know if there is anything better. I have a NEW Dorian which came with my new ROMY lathe. I used it for one day and decided that it had to go. Repeatability is not anywhere what the BXA is.

Happy Turkey Day.

TMD

Did you realize that Dorian steals almost all of their tool designs? The shop is a run down shthole with broken windows in Texas being run by some egotistical, narcissistic Italian, jackass. He primarily employs low-skilled Hispanics because he can scream at them everyday and they will still stay there. Almost every design there is reverse engineered from real tool companies or just rebranded. I have seen tools there being as much as .03" out of tolerance. The owner's proudest accomplishment is firing his own kid, who is a pot head. I would never buy a Dorian tool.

Did you realize that Dorian steals almost all of their tool designs? The shop is a run down shthole with broken windows in Texas being run by some egotistical, narcissistic Italian, jackass. He primarily employs low-skilled Hispanics because he can scream at them everyday and they will still stay there. Almost every design there is reverse engineered from real tool companies or just rebranded. I have seen tools there being as much as .03" out of tolerance. The owner's proudest accomplishment is firing his own kid, who is a pot head. I would never buy a Dorian tool.

And you are really on top of it, you replied to a 17 year old post.

It's obvious he's never been to their place down in Hungerford, Texas, just southwest of Houston. If course, I don't have any room to say any different. Yeah, he's Italian, has a daughter that is their engineer and it's pretty much her way or the highway. His pot head kid, don't know about that. Do know a lot of the stuff they sell is actually manufactured over in Italy according to my brother. He knows the family for a business standpoint. Ken

Back