What's new
What's new

Aluminum Tube Bending

JES

Aluminum
I want to make a Z bend in some aluminum tubing.
The tubing sizes are .375,.312 and .250 OD all with .035 wall.
I'm looking to get an 1.5"-2" transition.
Anyone have any tips on how I might do this?
With or without heat? Or any suggestions at all?
Thanks,
Jim

How about brake line benders? AKA tubing benders. You can get them for just about any size tubing. However, the larger diameter the tubing is, the larger the bend radius needs to be.

Jim, I'd get a tubing bender like this http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=947876&PMAKA=505-0476
Should also be available at most auto parts stores.

Aluminum tube will tend to collapse when bending. If you can, cut the tube long, crimp one end and fill the tube with silica sand or glass beads, crimp the other end shut and then bend. That keeps the tubing from collapsing and gives a nices looking bend.
JR

What alloy is your tubing? 1100 or 3000 series will bend fairly easy in a tube bender, but my experience with the heat treated grades, 6061 etc, is that they'll crack no matter how you try it, except for some very gentle bends.

I bend a lot of tubing in these sizes, but most is either steel or stainless, can't really comment on aluminum. But I have found the bender used makes all the difference in the world. The one mentioned above isn't too bad, but nothing like a dedicated size bender from Ridgid or even better Imperial Eastman. A real good bender, reasonably priced, and will do 3/16", 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" is available from Robinair, an auto AC parts co. (seen the same one with someone elses name on it too, but can't remember name). This bender is plastic and does 2 sizes on either side of the handles, and works about as well as the dedicated size benders. Avoid like the plague those imported piece of crap 4 size aluminum benders everyone sells for around $10.- I can do better with bare hands.

Back