Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Photos would be great....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's some pics of Brian's grinder. It was completely rebuilt shortly before he got it.

The guy running it is about 6'4" tall....

"close up" of chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ted (smallshop) has obviously figured out how to post pictures onto this site! The second picture is two- four foot feedtables, end to end. Next time, I'll get more cast and machined. I could grind nine at once! Got to think big when you've got this much "real estate".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm, now I need to plan a vacation to bring a couple of tables out there to get them ground. God knows I couldn't afford shipping!

Post Thanks / Like

We would like another 48 X 144. Later the better.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You never really know all the details on certain bankruptcies. If you figured the parts line was viable, but new machine sales were break-even or a losing proposition, then it could be best to do an asset sale of certain things like drawings, fixtures, etc and put the remainder of the company into bankruptcy. The new company could then either negotiate a purchase of the remainder with the bankruptcy court, or let it go to auction and buy whatever they figure to be worthwhile. In any case, you want to be rid of the company itself, because that's where the liability attaches. The existence of a long term legacy of machinery is another factor that makes it so difficult to find a buyer for an old line company even though they may be financially healthy.

Although we all know the Monarch building machining centers in Cortland, NY is the same outfit who built lathes in Ohio, chances are good that you'd never find any legal connection between the two. By severing that connection, they got rid of liabilities related to thousands of still operating lathes, and are only liable for problems related to machines built in the modern era from about the mid-70's forward. They might get sued, but its not going to be due to some hack conversion of a lineshaft drive from the teens coming back to haunt them.

There was a classic example I read about a couple years back where one of the New England machinery builders, possibly Blanchard but I can't remember now for sure, had bought some small machine builder in the early 60's. They never did anything with it, either with parts or machines, but they owned it nonetheless. 20 years later they catch a lawsuit for an injury related to one of these machines, manufactured several decades before they owned them. They ultimately lost to the tune of a few million, all because they bought the company instead of just buying its assets. According to the article, that judgement changed most everyone's attitude toward the risks involved in the purchase of an intact company with a legacy of many machines still in the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure four foot by 12 foot Mattisons are just laying around everywhere. [img]smile.gif[/img] Not a machine I'd want to pay to have moved.

An interesting post from Metlmuncher. Horrible that our legal system is so screwed up that people can sue over injuries received from an ancient machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you guys want to see some large grinders in action go to google video and then search Blanchard Grinding. Several companies including ours has put videos up there. We have the clean machines [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never did answer Milacrons question as to why I wanted such a big grinder
    You ain't fooling me...it took you nearly two years to conjure up a reason to actually use the thing for something ! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are pics of installing and runoff on our large mattison grinder.

http://207.67.118.55/news06.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's either a very large machine, or a very short operator

-------------
    Barry Milton

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll never think of a 6" grinding wheel the same way.

Clutch

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is our BIG machine, the longest 400S mattison ever made.

Mattison 400S Video

Just recently another of the ex mattison guys retired from the rebuilder he was was working at. As of now there is about 5 guys left from mattison who are still working and keeping the old machines up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did Bourne and Koche do the rebuild?

I know most of the Mattison guys eventually ended up there. There are also several guys that have been working on their own since Mattison closed. One guy, I forget his last name, had a pretty steady business of just scraping ways.

There still are a fair number of Mattisons in the Rockford area, you just have to know were to look. We had a mid 50's 400 with a 36X144 table. Was setup as a surface grinder. Was auctioned off for $12,000 and went to Vietnam. I hated to see it go but we hadn't used it in years. Was in really good shape, not many hours on it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No B&K did not do it. All of about 2 guys from mattison went there.

Right when Mattison closed about 12-16 guys went to Dial Machine in rockford and they started Dial Industries. They have rebuild or worked on all of my 12 mattisons.

For my shop the Mattison is the major machine that keeps parts rolling out the door. So seing what was at one time the best grinder ever built with a company of over 500 people dwindle down to 5 is really sad.

I know this is the story with MANY machine builders in the U.S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of people heard the same thing. Its bogus!! They got sued over a woodworking machine. A operator got his shirt caught and it cost him his arm. He sued on the grounds of improper safety guards. Keep in mind, the machine was 40years old. Mattison could have settled but chose not to. It dragged out for several years. During the process, the Mattison Technology company went down the tubes because of poor management. NOT A LAW SUIT. With that said, they are tied together.
    Company signed a agreement with another foreign grinding company for a million dollars. They were to merge. (ELB) Even had stationary, business cards etc printed. That went south in a hurry!! Tied all together, FAMILY decided best thing to do, file bankruptcy. The banks were closing in fast. Mattison didn't use its own money to build machines, they used money from AMCORE BANK. Then paid it back after they got paid. When bank heard all the talk about merger and not settling lawsuit and a problem getting liability insurance, they slammed the door on the company. END OF MATTISON. Simple as that. Joe Blanchard, BLANCHARD GRINDERS bes1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder14 View Post
    A lot of people heard the same thing. Its bogus!! They got sued over a woodworking machine. A operator got his shirt caught and it cost him his arm. He sued on the grounds of improper safety guards. Keep in mind, the machine was 40years old. Mattison could have settled but chose not to. It dragged out for several years. During the process, the Mattison Technology company went down the tubes because of poor management. NOT A LAW SUIT. With that said, they are tied together.
    Company signed a agreement with another foreign grinding company for a million dollars. They were to merge. (ELB) Even had stationary, business cards etc printed. That went south in a hurry!! Tied all together, FAMILY decided best thing to do, file bankruptcy. The banks were closing in fast. Mattison didn't use its own money to build machines, they used money from AMCORE BANK. Then paid it back after they got paid. When bank heard all the talk about merger and not settling lawsuit and a problem getting liability insurance, they slammed the door on the company. END OF MATTISON. Simple as that. Joe Blanchard, BLANCHARD GRINDERS bes1
    Sent you a PM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder14 View Post
    Joe-are you on your own now and not working for B&K anymore?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Henricksen View Post
    Theres a huge Mattison - 240 inch bed in Franklin Park, Illinois. All its baby brothers, about 10 machines, in the same shop with it
    Just a town over in Melrose Park, Illinois at Chicago Grinding. My home away from home. Chicago Grinding - Mattison Grinding

20. Likes cash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tool steel supplier just south of Irving on River rd. Is where I was thinking. NIce machines you have.