What's new
What's new

Archaic expressions

Asquith

Diamond
I was reading an 1895 article about foundrywork. The writer assumed that the reader knew the meaning of a sodger and a dog rammer (probably offences in some US States), cake plates, snugs, ring Rauches, etc. One thing the writer did explain was how they overcame the problem of wear in the dowel pins and holes between the top and bottom moulding boxes or flasks (cope and drag). It was the universal practice to take up the clearance by turning the top box, always in the same direction. The direction was ‘sun about’, meaning the way the sun moves.

Why not say clockwise or anti (counter) clockwise? Everyone was familiar with clocks in 1895, so I assume 'sun about' was a very old foundryman’s expression, rather than one in everyday use. Anyway, it led to an inconclusive discussion in the Asquith household about sundials in the northern and southern hemispheres, assisted by the use of an apple in lieu of a globe, hampered by the fact that it was nightime.

It got me thinking about other obsolete expressions and the origin of technical words. Reamer often used to be called rimer or rhymer or various other things. For once my dictionary helped with the origin, and it was directly relevant, the verb ‘ream’ coming from the Old English ‘rymen’ to widen. Not to be confused with a ream of paper, which comes from the Arabic ‘rizmah’ (a bale).

‘Chuck’ comes from ‘chock’.

‘Firedamp’ is an odd word for methane in mines, but the ‘damp’ part comes from the German ‘dampf’ – vapour.

An old American article about brass slides fitted to ways referred to the use of ‘counter screws’. It made me realise the origin of the word ‘countersinking’, presumably first done for screws used on counters in banks and shops (shops as in US ‘stores’).

Let’s have some more examples, or failing that, some questions on the origin of technical terms that might prompt some answers.

The same problem arises in the chemistry field. Read some old gunsmithing books. The formulas for various baths and compounds for bluing and finishing metal are totally incomprehensible, since they use archaic names for the ingredients.

(And of course we won't comment on the fact that the English spoken here in the Colonies differs substantially from that used on your side of the pond :D )

I use to work at a dairy processing plant, the homogenizer (sp) was always just called the "************"

The one phrase I always heard growing up was the cutting torch being called the "gas axe" or "speed wrench". Also Grandma always getting something from the "ice box".

KJ

How many of you guys have cooked on a "range"? Probably a few have driven cows there.

Have you ever thrown your "kit and caboodle" in the trunk and gone for a ride?

What about you Britts "knocking" people up in the morning or us in the US getting "stuffed" durring supper?

OK, back to machine related items; Have you ever had to clean up a load of "black mahogony"; boiler plate that has been flame cut.-Jerald

A friend of mine was watching me tram the head on my Bridgeport, and at some point I used the term "tram" and he was wondering what that meant, and I had to admit I didn't know, other than it must be an abbreviation for something? So, can anyone clue me in on what I am missing?

Dale Nelson

From an online dictionary:

tram 2 (trm)
n.
1. An instrument for gauging and adjusting machine parts; a trammel.
2. Accurate mechanical adjustment: The device is in tram.
tr.v. trammed, tram·ming, trams
To adjust or align (mechanical parts) with a trammel.

------------

[Short for trammel.]

It isn't a primary meaning. The definition of trammel has:

tram·mel (trml)
n.
1. A shackle used to teach a horse to amble.
2. Something that restricts activity, expression, or progress; a restraint.
3. A vertically set fishing net of three layers, consisting of a finely meshed net between two nets of coarse mesh.
4. An instrument for describing ellipses.
5. An instrument for gauging and adjusting parts of a machine; a tram.
6. An arrangement of links and a hook in a fireplace for raising and lowering a kettle.
tr.v. tram·meled or tram·melled, tram·mel·ing or tram·mel·ling, tram·mels
1. To enmesh in or as if in a fishing net. See Synonyms at hamper1.
2. To hinder the activity or free movement of.

--------------------------

[Middle English tramale, a kind of net, from Old French tramail, from Late Latin trmaculum : Latin trs, three; see trei- in Indo-European roots + Latin macula, mesh.]

cheers,
Michael

When you turn the ignition key that extra bit, it is referred to as "cranking" the engine.....as in so many "cold cranking amperes", but I'd wager most drivers have no clue why that word is used.

How many know what it is to "rein in" somebody? Even if they use the term.

Who knows why it is a "sledge hammer"?

Or why those are "cap screws"?

BTW: Those pliers ARE "pump pliers"..... or as I call them, a "north county socket set" (North county here gets no respect...)

And it's "the whole kit and caboodle", if you want to make the fussy language people "as happy as a clam in the mud". Otherwise they might prefer to "bless you with a brick".

Oh, yeah, the trammel would be used for setting valves, via marks on the flywheel.
A variant of the process could be used for setting a head vertical as well.... and likely was....

Can't help but comment and maybe expose some lack of knowledge at the same time.

Water pump pliers as I knew them, had three or four indentations in one leg that the pivot pin locked in when you tightened down on an object. The problem was they tended to slip and were also called "knuckle busters" because of this annoying habit.

Channelock came out with the same style of pliers, but with the positive channels/grooves to securely hold the jaws in position. I have a few of the old style, but would never, ever use them.

People still do refer to them as water pump pliers, which is ok with me.

I learned about cranking an engine when I was three. I was told to crank start it because I shut it off when I shouldn't have. I didn't know the starter was shot, or that it was me that killed it. Needless to say, I was in no way able to crankstart that truck, but I was able to drive it around the farm. That's where the burnt starter came from, my method of making it go.

How about 'room and board'- what's the board part? Any relation to 'boarding house'?

For Don- and his reference to Yorkshire wool, I have to count to ten.
yan, tean, tither, mither, pip, teaser, leaser, catra, horna, dick. Going on is yan=dick, tean-dick. One way of counting old sheep, I suppose.

Norman

Back