Australian made machine tools - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AAB,

Your Nuttall lathe looks to be in very nice condition in the photo.

I have no idea whether this applies to Nuttall or not, but don't be surprised if you find there never was a manual printed. Some basic cone head lathes of this age were supplied without any documentation at all. I have a Brackenbury and Austin lathe of 1948 vintage which my father bought new, and no manual was supplied with it. You got the bare lathe, a set of change gears and one chuck backplate, plus a countershaft pulley, and that was all. I have heard that several other forties and earlier lathe makers also didn't provide manuals.

Apparently machinists of that era were expected to have enough knowledge to set up and operate a basic lathe without needing any reference material from the manufacturer.

franco

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just sticking my nose in to say Hi.

Franco, we haven't communicated since before Xmas but I did get my B&A lathe up and running. Unfortunately, I can't attach pics here so I may do so back where we originally "spoke".

Cheers,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's probably too late to make a contribution but I own a Nuttall centrwe lathe. It is designated as a 6 1/2" x 42" machine. It has either a 3 or 5 Hp 3 phase electric motor which produces a maximum speed of 1066 rpm. I purchased this machine along with a Pollard pedestal drill from Jeffress Brothers engineering business in Northgate, Brisbane in 1995. they had otherNuttall lathes in their workshop. Jeffress used to make wood working machines as well as general jobbing. Davidson Machine Tools in Sydney purchased all the Nuttall stuff some time ago. He advertised/ listed in the Brisbane telephone directory as Nuttall. He now works in a private school and has handed all Nuttall equipment on to his nephew in Newcastle. Email me if you are seeking more detailed information ([email protected]). I bought a 127 tool metric change gear from the nephew. I would like to establish contact with Australian hobbyists. I am seeking a number of machine manuals and bits and pieces for machine tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To follow the theme I see that I am also a plastic member. Since I suffer with diabetes some sort of reinforcement would be beneficial. A prosthetic device however will be of limited value in the realm of vague recollection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all
    BHP in newcastle also made machine tools during the WW2 mainly mills, nail making machines, steam hammers. There is a Nuttal parts dealer operating out of Newcastle if people are interested I can post his details for people. Marfleight and Weight also used to make Massey hammers under licence in Oz as well as presses and other forging machinery

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

forgemaster, etc

Would love to have the address etc of the Nuttall parts dealer in Newcastle.

Incidentally I have seen 2 x AIS machines that used to bore gun barrels. Very old. I think that they are still at " Dunlop" in Bayswater Vic.

franco etc,

you will be pleased to see that my "Member" is hardening.

Regards from Melbourne Australia,

AAB [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Australian made machine tools that I can recall:-
    Sheraton, Macson, Nuttall, Hercus, Lock, Waldown, Mars, Windsor Engineers, John Heine, Repco, Warren & Brown, Visby, Clisby, Queensland Government Railways, BHP, AIS.
    AIS (Australian Iron & Steel)was a part of BHP and made many of their own machine tools, mostly quite large, which were sold off as they were superseded. BHP had steel works, coal mines, iron mines, a shipping line, shipyards so probably had need of a lot of machine tools. There were many Macson, Nuttall, Visby (New Visby) made during WWII for the federal govt. and leased to war contractors, and after the war were offered for purchase to the contractors and many hundreds were sold at auction, and are still in use today. Qld. Railways made some lathes for war work and maybe some other items as well. I have seen two big lathes made by QR, one had about a seven foot centre height and about 40' between centres. The other was under a cottage in Ipswich and was advertised for sale. I had about 12" centre height and 20' between centres, maybe used for shafts or gun barrels. Mars Machine Tool Manufacturing Coy. were in East St. Fortitude Valley, and moved to Eagle Farm in the 1970's. Now defunct. The firm was started by two men named Rapson & Dutton. They also made the Mars and the RanD diesel engines. Rapson Machine Shop operated in Brisbane for about sixty years or more but is no longer in the telephone book. They had an excellent reputation for quality work. I am not aware of the commercial connection between the names of the firms, Mars, RanD, Rapson, and Ted. Rapson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AAB,

I own a Nuttal lathe as well. Mines an old belt feed one with plain bearing I keep for polishing and machining cast iron on.
    My motor is marked 1420rpm Crompton - Parkinson, Sydney.
    Best way to power it is a VFD. If you're in Melbourne I can point you in the right direction. That way you don't have to replace the motor starter circuit and such. I binned all mine and used the factoy switches to operate the VFD. I also installed a potentiometer so I could control speed.
    I live in Oregon in the US now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There seems to be another lathe of Aussie origin that appears to have been forgotten about and was in a quite a few machine shops-------HERBERT. Remeber using them at Massey Ferguson's, at their Bendigo plant.
    They had a few continuous lathes that were made by WARD,(they had two bloody big capstan handles on 'em, one for the opening and closing chuck and the other for rotating the tooling on the capstan) none too sure of where they were made, always thought they were Aussie made though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

radish1us,

I worked as a junior draftsman at H V Mckay Massey Harris,in Sunshine ( before they became Massey Ferguson ), in the late forties. Helped design the " Drill,G & F Suntyne ".

AAA,

Have a look in " Nuttall lathes " in this section of the site & you will see a photo of my " baby ".

Still need a manual, because I haven't a clue as to what some of the funny looking knobs etc do.

Have fitted a 1.5 HP,1440 single 240 v electric motor in lieu of the 1 HP C.P. 3 phase.

Seems to go O.K.

Regards from Melbourne, Australia

AAB [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

franco, Speedie etc,

I cannot believe it. I have scored 5 stars !!

How the hell did I do it ?

My member still needs hardening.

We need an " Instant gremlin " that has a gradually raising appendage as the member hardens

Regards from Melbourne, Australia

AAB :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

franco, Speedie etc

My member is confused. At another topic I have become an " Aluminium " guy.

Have stripped down my Nuttall to the last nut & bolt & you would not believe the muck that I have found.

All of the gears,keyways etc are in excellent condition. This lathe may have been in a trade school or some government department because it does not seem to have done much work.

Regards,

AAB

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nuttall Engineering Primrose Avn Rosebery Sydney, copied from my Fathers "Manual of Lathe Operation and machinists Tables" book that he was given to him when he started his apprenticeship with Nuttall in 1938 as a draftsman.
    Dad is still alive and has just undergone cardiac surgery, so now is a good time to ask him about Nuttall as he is under strict "no work" instructions.
    I remember him telling me about how they left the lathe beds outside in the weather to "age" he said that the large beds were left for over a year before being ground and trued for assembled.
    Nuttall was a general engineering company, I still have some of Dads blueprints of work that he did for Nuttall, they are some of his first work and hold a lot of sentimental value to him.
    Hope this helps
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

otr002, Rod,

What part of Australia are you from ?

Last year I kept mentioning my football team, the Bulldogs ( Footscray variety ) but that subject is not to be mentioned at present.

I would be very interested in any Nuttall info that you may have. I have sent off $ 20 for a facsimilie Nuttall manual, but it has not arrived as yet.

Hope your dad is on the mend,

Regards from Melbourne,

AAB

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aussie machine tools, repco power I have seen quite a few types, surface grinders from hand feed 6 x 12 to hydraulic 12 x 30 units also a cam grinder. I believe they also made crank grinders.

Hercus besides the lathes they made a range of production oriented cylindrical grinders I happen to have one. Qualos made a small vertical mill (30" table) with an nt30 spindle. Servex, made mainly compressors and drill presses. Parken made or still make, drill presses and fabrication support machinery I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok!! Talked to Dad last night and he has some books on the 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 lathes, which by the way he drew onto white cardboard and were kept as the masters for the lathes, he said that in 1970 Mcphersons? (not sure of the spelling) took over making the lathes under there's and Nuttall's name and continued supplying parts for the Nuttall lathes.
    The books that he has i believe are schematics of the 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 which show the parts and the part numbers. He also mentioned another book that, as he said "looks at the lathes from another perspective" The next time i go up country i'll see what he has. which could be awhile.
    His best mate who started at the same time as a junior, is still alive and worked for Nuttall until his retirement. I believe that he has quite a collection of printed media from his time with Nuttall. I'll have to talk to him about his collection as it is in Sydney.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod,

If you would email me at [email protected] with your e.mail address,I will download some photos of my baby that you can pass onto those interested.

Regards,

AAB

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

AAB have you got what you need re manual etc for the Nuttall. I have the manual for the 6 1/2" centre height model 1959 vintage geared head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would it be possible to get some of this material scanned into a PC so it can be distributed on a CD or DVD???

Interesting that McPherson's produced Nuttall's in the 70's...They would have been competing head to head with McPherson's own brandname Macson..Although I think Macson lathes were a lot heavier and bigger than Nuttall lathes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I couple more names I have just come across..
    Purcell lathes and I think someone mentioned Sheraton already in this thread

Here is some info from this link-->> http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page7.html

Besides the machines for which illustrations exist there was the Australian Purcell, made by Mr. William Crooks who, having bought the Purcell engineering company in 1940, turned to the manufacture of small lathes and other machine tools. In addition to the South Bend copy the company also produced other lathes of various sizes - and information about these is sought. Although production of Purcell lathes ceased around 1960, Mr Crooks also owned a distribution company, Demco Machine Tools of Sydney, a firm still in business. The Sheraton was another Australian South Bend copy, made in Bayswater, Melbourne, from the early 1950s until 1981 - spares for these machines might be available from Robbie Rogers of 36, Sydney Road, Bayswater, Melbourne. The Sheraton "Conquest" was a geared-head version of the South Bend 10-inch whilst other, smaller lathes of a different design, the Cub and Cadet for example, were also manufactured. Sheraton had, apparently, a very close relationship with Demco and leased most of their (usually Czechoslovakian TOS) machine tools from them; in turn Demco (the import agents for TOS) acted as agents for Sheraton lathes. Reports from Australia suggest that one of the reasons for the demise of Sheraton was its move from what was described as a "...dingy, brick rabbit-warren old factory.." on Heidelberg Road to new premises some distance away. Many skilled workers, being unwilling to travel so far, took redundancy compensation and the company lost several key personnel. At some point the Sheraton concern was purchased by the English-based 600 machine-tool group who also handled, through their Selson Company, the import of TOS lathes into the UK - as well as many other world-wide machinery interests.

Some pictures I have found of Macson's

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictures/0...pi002680.shtml
    http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictures/0...pi002679.shtml

A McPherson's catalogue from 1966 for sale http://www.booksandcollectibles.com....427778b102f546

And here what appears to be a Purcell lathe..Don't know if it Australian made or not though

http://www.acy.com.au/LAAY003U.htm