What's new
What's new

Beginner Machinist Books--Need Recomendation

ChrisDWC

Plastic
I am looking for a book or books that cover the most basics of machining to CAD/CAM. My son is more and more interested in making things from scratch like daddy does. He can read on his own but I realize that a lot of the technical manuals are too advanced for a 7 year old. The books would be mainly for me to interpret to him. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks,
Chris

Check a local college or even better, high school book store. I found some cool teaching oriented metal shop books at these places. I have an extra copy of an old machine shop textbook but it would be more lathe mill shaper stuff and no CNC if your interested.

Nathan

I think that's really cool that your seven-year-old is interested in this stuff. His buddies are probably just watching MTV and playing video games (real useful skills).

My six-year-old is just getting into following the directions to actually build something specific with his lego blocks.

All I can say is "Take the ball and run with it!"

Steve

Thanks for the input guys I will give the books a look at. Anyone have the Audel books? What do you think of them?

I have a set of Audel books. I don't recall any CNC coverage.

For the basics, I'd suggest you look for machining textbooks at used bookstores. Well illustrated, basics to advanced, covers all common machine tools in one book. Oh, and cheap. I have about a dozen. If you are in DFW, drop by and I'll donate one.

Rex B
Keller

Back