What's new
What's new

Central Machinery Lathes

Sixspokes

Plastic
Hi Folks....I am looking to get some pro's and con's on a 12x36 or 14x40 Central Machinery Lathe :confused: ...Harbor freight has them for a couple grand...and that about all I have to spend :( ...I have a 9x20 Jet that I'd like to ship back to China!.. :D lol..I just want to see if the C/M Lathe is any better....Thank you very much, Mark

The 9x20's are pretty limited lathes. Most have very light beds, no cross feeds, etc. So, even a Harbor Freight 12x36 is likely a signifcant upgrade.

However, as noted above, Harbor Freight is probably the least trusted of the Chinese lathe importers -- they have a reputatoin of doing less checking of quality than Grizzly or Jet, often spec their machines a little cheaper, and may not do as good at replacing bad-on-delivery components (fairly likely).

At the very least, you'll want to see the specific lathe you're buying and satisfy yourself there's not a nice used machine for the same money.

Well Tak maybe not BMW...more like say, a used toyota tercel with like 80k miles.

Your refurbed lathe would be the BMW.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by the replies you are getting. A 12 x 36, virtually any brand, is better by an order of magnitude than any brand of 9 x 20, even a Jet. In fact the Jet 9 x 20 is all but identical to any of the other brands of 9 x 20s including the HF variety.

I would disagree with the general assessment of the HF 12 x 36. In fact they are probably just as well put together as the other 12 x 36 lathes judging from the one I have owned for 3 years and the several others that I have knowledge of. I have used mine for hundreds of hours machining model engines and making a variety of tools and assorted things for home and shop. I have had no more problems (actually, almost no problems with mine) compared to the several hundreds of users I keep up with on the two Yahoo 12 x 36 lathe groups.

I would admit that the support you get from Grizzly is probably better than what you can expect from HF (I own a number of Grizzly tools), however, the support you get from HF is probably on par with Enco, Wholesale Tools and several vendors which sell almost identical 12 x 36 lathes down to the parts being interchangeable on all of them. And almost of all of these vendors charge more for their version of the same lathe.

I have no first hand knowledge of the HF 14 x 40 lathe, although based on my experience with the 12 x 36, I would certainly consider it.

Very old post.
I like my HF Central machine, made a lot of parts.
Did need bearings one.

Anyone know where I can get parts for one???

I hate to be the guy to point out the elephant in the room but, if you've already got a small lathe you've got enough space for a 14X40 and a start on tooling, right? If you're ready to pull the trigger for a couple grand on a Chinese gamble, why not start checking some shop sales & some of the used machinery sites? Buy some good old American Iron, nice & heavy, maybe in need of a little TLC, but still straight & true. There are a lot of good used machines out there that are close to a couple grand. If you can sell yours to someone else just starting out you can throw in a bit more and have something your grandkids can still use.

Back in 2000 I started looking for a 13 x 40 lathe for occasional use, and started with used lathes. When one of the lathes I looked at was run with no oil in the gearbox (which was obvious to me, but apparently not the owner), I decided to buy new. I bought a Jet, thinking at that time that it was made in Taiwan; turns out that only the sheetmetal base was made in Taiwan - the lathe itself was Chinese....

It has done OK overall, but one thing I noticed when I checked it over prior to using it, was that a lot of the screws weren't tight! In one case tightening the screws locked up the mechanism.

I too agree with other posters that HF is bottom of the barrel. It will probably work fine for a while, but as soon as something breaks don't expect to get good replacement parts, especially since it will probably be a few years down the road. The tools are cheap for a reason.

Good luck with your purchase.

-Jim

Back