Best air compressor for home shop - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a word of caution on old air tanks.

My old Quincy two-stage horizontal was manufactured in 1939, according to factory records. It's a beast, heavy in every way. The technician at Quincy cautioned me about the old tank. He suggested pumping the tank up to 5PSI, just enough so there was some pressure in the tank. Then tap the lowest point on the tank with a hammer, listening for any change of sound that would indicate thin, rusted out areas. He also said 100PSI would be a good pressure for an older tank - that's the setting I use.

Probably a good idea to do this on any used tank you're considering, especially older ones.

Barry Milton

jfsmith Guest

Buy Quincy, you won't be sorry

Jerry

Linwood, Ma USA, the center of the known universe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Barry
    The motor is a 5 hp, 3450 rpm and motor pulley is 4" and the comp pulley is 14" or 14.5". Don't remember the formula to compute pulley rpm's. The 4" pulley was recommended by the manufacturer. Good people to deal with, will answer any questions you have.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in need of a compressor to run a Cool Mist, single spray cooling systems for occasional hobby use on my 12x36" lathe and an Index 40H milling machine. Are DeWalt units worth anything for such purposes?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll take that as a "don't waste my money", yes?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by srma63 View Post
    I'll take that as a "don't waste my money", yes?
    You might have better luck not expecting much response from people who last posted in a thread ELEVEN years old... I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, the OP wasn't going to be happy trying to run a sandblast cabinet on his wished-for-minimum 10cfm at 90psi. A mist unit requires a fraction of that.

The splash lubricated Quincy is a great compressor for less than industrial use at maybe $1500 -- could be they are a bit more now. Seems to me that the best bet for a serious hobbyist is to either stretch half way to $2000 for a compressor or look for a good used one (half a dozen brands with the true HP, lower rpms, decent two stage with intercooler); with the tank in good condition and repair parts (valves etc.) still available. But, that's the 11-year-old discussion.

As for running a cool-mist unit; most anything will work -- just depends on how long you want it to run if it's oil-less.

But if you're really a hobbyist who hasn't needed a compressor until now; how about running dry or with dropped, brushed, or automatically dripped-on lube? IMO, misting is a pain in the rear for the slight gain in surface speed or tool life an occasional hobbyist might get from it. Meanwhile, you'll be filling the air with crap, possibly making chips a bit too soggy to easily vac up, and finding rust next time you swap your vice for a rotary table. For all that, not likely the misting will increase production or tool life enough to save a minute of time in the average hobbyist project.

8. Likes ignator, Jerry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look for a used but not abused Quincy QR 25. Buy a gasket kit and remove the old valves. Clean them up and touch up them up with sandpaper on a flat surface. New copper rings will be included with the gaskets. New oil and you will have a quiet running pump that will outlast most anything new. Pretty easy to find at less than 1K and easy to work on. Dave

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well you sort of get what you pay for....i suspect the lower end and smaller ingersol rand units have been stripped of a bit a durability by cheaping out on things, but they maybe better than some.

One brand that is good, it has plate poppet valves and is really reliable is Fu Sheng if i recall they where made in taiwan, its used on various makes out here champion compressors being one of many.

It has a big FS on the casting so you know where its from, good reliable compressor head.

A blast cabinet is a demanding thing so 35 cfm and up would be nice and a largish tank even for a small cabinet it will stay on once you start and run continuously.
    Maybe even look at a bit more cfm depending on your cabinet it will be governing item in air use.

Really a $1000 won't get you far enough to get a good product..maybe a really old unit needing a rebuild if your lucky or just if it has bad valves you can replace the plates and lap the removable housing flat again to get it going .

To check the valves just see if it pumps air, hold a tissue on the inlet filter and see if it sucks it towards ( good) or blows it out (bad)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a review of good air compressors, I think you will find what you are looking for there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar1985 View Post
    Here is a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HIHtZo6GTwof good air compressors, I think you will find what you are looking for there.
    WooHoo ! "Nicole/Kathy" had a sex change....Spammer is right on schedule...yet again