What's new
What's new

The Best hand oiler????

Brian@VersaMil

Stainless
Is there any company making a hand lubrication pump- OIL CANS, that's not a piece of junk??? I've tried a bunch of them, and they all leak, quit working, or are just plain junk.

Eagle use to make an awesome oiler, but the dummies in accounting figured no one would buy it any more. Brass prices go up- they quit making the best one I know about. WH0'S LEFT?

Do we have to make everything these days?

Another thing to watch out about regarding the oil cans you buy today is that they lose their prime. I have one that takes four squeezes on the pump handle just to get oil to come out then it squirts all the way over to the wall!

Sounds like a teenage boy
biggrin.gif

Try Golden Rod oil cans, I have one at work and it works well. The thumb lever is a little weak and tryed to bend so I replaced it with a thicker one. The mechanizm is a good one and it does not leak after 5 years.

Charles

Polyethylene plastic squeeze bottles have taken over. Cheap and you can see what is in them. The only pump type oil cans I have that don't leak have plastic tanks but I just use the plastic bottles now.

I have a NAPA that I bought in 1970 in Hawaii. The darn thing still works. I bought a HF special and after one use, threw it in the trash.

I have some of the Golden Rod oil cans and have replaced the pump levers because they were too flimsy.

The don't work at all with steam cylinder oil. But are fine with regular weight oils....Anybody know where I can get a pump oiler that will work with approximately 600 weight steam oil?

I took a standard grease gun and cut the long tube in half. Took the rod and spring out and epoxied a cap on the end to seal it from leaking oil. Put a flexible hose with a pointed tip on to use on the gits cups. Filled it with way oil, turned it upside down so the oil would flow into the pump. Now have a pressure oil can that I use on all my gits fittings. By the way get the pistol grip type grease gun.

Chris

Brian,

Lincoln is about the only place that will still "make" oilers. I just bought 6 for our big Gisholts. They have to be high pressure and have a zerk fitting on them. Lincoln was pricey ($250 ea), but they were the only place that would do it.

Golden Rod is a division of Dutton-Lainson Corp. in Hastings Ne. Good company, been there for over 100 years. They still make the "heavy duty" oilers, but AFAIK, they will only sell to distributors. They might look at you as an OEM account.

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/

I used to know a bunch of people in engineering there, but they have since retired.

JR

I have a pile of junk Golden Rod oilers, from their big "heavy duty" to their smaller ones. The squeeze handle when pumping way oil just bends in, making it impossible to pump, the nozzles where they are soldered to the top, break off. The "heavy duty" ones, didn't work from brand new. My Eagle oilers are okay, but they are just cheap plastic pieces of junk.

I'm going to make a line of oil cans that will knock the socks off of every other oiler out there. Machined out of 7075, and anodized like a mag light flashlight.

Brian : Don't bother, there is a German made oilcan avaliable from McMaster Carr . Thing has a Die Cast resivour (aluminum) sealed with an o ring. The pump part is all brass with a swivel pickup that works in any position. It even has a secondary pump that works if the thing is upside down.....Company is called Reilang. I just bought one and it works great. I have way lube in mine so it dosen't shoot too far when pumped, but it works well and dosen't leak.
Cheers Ross

Seems like a design of a pump oiler is needed. If you can come up with a container, the machining of a pump mechanism and check valves shouldn't be too hard. (I know, spend ten hours to make what should be a $5 item, but I am that kind of guy!)

got the same German oiler as alfaGTA and it's super. I live in West Linn and work in Beaverton. If you want, i can drop the oiler off and you can try if for yourself. Just send an email and let me know. It beats the other dozens that i have thrown away.

Brian:
I have a couple of small oilers that were made in Winsor Ontario (across the river from detroit)by a company called Excel. I bought them in the last 18 months or so.
They are very nice quality, and I don't remember them being real expensive.

Email me if you want any more detail

Cheers
Pete

I'll have to try one of the german oilers. I like to keep oil cans at most of my machines, and it's frustrating when they just fall apart-ie GOLDENRODS. I am going to do a run of cans just for S & G. I figure make a hundred of them, and I'll have enough and can put them in my VersaMil sets. Aluminum barstock is relatively cheap- three bucks for the material in an oil can, the pump and spouts, are just more lathe parts. How hard can it be? Sure I've got better things to do, but I need to make something I can afford to give away for christmas presents. Sometimes an aggravation, can turn into something.

Back