What's new
What's new

Best Honing Stones ??

Dimitri

Titanium
All of the talk about honing has me interested, I never really gave much thought to honing stones before.

So my question is what is the best type and make of honing stone in your opinion ?? :confused:

Dimitri

Honing for what purpose? Actual dimensional honing, removing of surface defects and edges, or general purpose sharpening of keen edges?

These distinctions are important. "Honing" has an unfortunately broad definition. The type of stone you select varies with the application.

Thanks for that website been checking it out, seems interesting alot of neat stuff on it.

Silicon Carbide stones are listed and dont cost too much it seems. One of the shop teachers at my college has one and he let me us it to dress up my little pocket stone I picked up from Home Depot (they sell the same one prettymuch everywhere else too).

Dimitri

Thanks for the gesswein link, Matt.

When I'm working with HSS bits, I like the DMT machinist's diamond stone.

I couldn't find it on DMT's website, but here is a description from the amazon UK website(I bought it years ago). It is 600 grit, so it isn't very fine, but it works for me.

edit: also check out their website: DMT
I have several of their products, I've been very happy with them.

If I were only allowed one stone for general machine shop work, it would be a 6" long, 1" X 2" India medium. I probably have logged two hundred hours of my life holding one of these for one thousand reasons or another. That being said, I am a stone nut. At the flea markets around here stones of any and all manner of description show up all the time. Everytime I think I have three of everyone ever made I trip across another shape and or grit. Got stones for all occasions. John

there is a tool supply house in Cleveland, Ohio called Falcon Tool or Falcon Supply on Brookpark Road. They carry an amazing variety of abrasive stones and powders as well as numerous die sinkers tools including any file of which I have ever heard, Foredom flexible shaft tools and tooling. It is truly impressive. They even carry diamond and other abrasive powders. Also good people to deal with. Tom Dittmer. find them on the net.

Norton Abrasives probably has the widest selection: http://tinyurl.com/yny7zz

The stones I most often pick up are the Hard Arkansas, a white or translucent white natural stone that leaves a polished finish. Leaves a scratch pattern like 2000 grit abrasive paper, so it works well for touching a nicked edge on a Starrett scale - and does a good job taking bumps out of the Bpt table.

--------------------
Barry Milton

there is a tool supply house in Cleveland, Ohio called Falcon Tool
Falcon is a good company to deal with.. Good selection, fast, friendly service.. I was thinking their address was 8500 Hub Parkway, but it may have recently changed..

The "Best Stone" is a question that cannot be answered. In addition to the many grits, there are diffent abrasives, such as Aluminum Oxide & Silicon Carbide, as well as different bonds. Many of the stones sold by Falcon & Gesswein are for specialized polishing of molds and dies..

For general-purpose shop stones, the Norton India stones are a good start.....

It's not as difficult as you think to choose the best stone, especially if you have a helpful guide. That's why we put together our best stone at (crystalopedia) reviews, which you'll find below, explaining the most important aspects of each of our top 10 whetstones on the 2019 knife.

It's not as difficult as you think to choose the best stone, especially if you have a helpful guide. That's why we put together our best stone at (spamming) reviews, which you'll find below, explaining the most important aspects of each of our top 10 whetstones on the 2019 knife.
Wow...what will they think of next...SPAM charged with loose abrasives....must be to keep Fido's teeth clean eh ?

I have ended up with many stones over the years but when I first started out I got a Norton india combination stone.. good for a general purpose stone. Depending on what you end up doing with it you will likely find you cant get away with just one type.

Knife sharpening, flat stoning a surface grinder chuck, de-burring edges for a sharp-edge or for a de-burr or small bevel. finishing a part to 6 to 12 millionths. all different stones..just like grinding wheel the grit size and material is also important

Back