What's new
What's new

Biax power scraper clone. Help!

Forrest Addy

Diamond
Scraper class mild emergency. I'm putting together materials for the next two scraper classes.

Someone posted a photo of a Biax power scraper along with a photo of what seemed like a clone; a power scraper of slightly different appearance but similar function.

It says in my personal rule book to discuss commercial products in class only those attributes supported by objective merit.

Therefore: I need to look at one of those clone scrapers or at least get in touch with the maker so I can make a sensible evaluation of the gadget for my students.

I used the search function under a dozen different objects but could find nothing.

Can someone put me on the right track?

Forrest, I can't help on that Biax clone, but I have had an idea since the Sav. class.
I've seen some hand held sanders that use a reciprocating small triangular sanding pad at Home Depot and other places. And I have wondered if it would be possible to adapt this for scraping.
And anyway this reply bumps you question back up the page! :D
Dave

I have a power scraper something other than a biax. calling it a clone would be an unfair comparison to a Biax. I will send some .jpg pics to you or should I just post them on photobucket? Anyone fromn the midwest going out there that wants to take it along for a tryout is welcome to borrow it.

Mr Hendrickson. If you could eMail some photos and the lable plate info plus the company info page from the manual if you got it, I would be most appreciative.

I'd sure like to try it but I wouldn't like for it the go astray or be damaged while in my charge.

My eMail address is on the letter icon above 2nd from the left.

About a year ago when I bought my Biax, Lost Creek Machine had a "different" scraper, made by RJH (English??) They had it on their site for ages before someone bought it.

Sorry I can't supply more information, but I shyed away because it was odd-ball.

Pete

Forrest, I sent you email. Pete did that scraper look like this one?
scraper.jpg

This scraper works ok, its more a hammer action than a two-way driven blade. The tips are homemade carbide brazed to hard steel. Once you figure out the action, it makes a pretty good pattern.

Forrest,I have a pattern flaker that looks similar to the one pictured. It was made by Borel & Dunner. I talked to the company a long time ago and they said they had one man that made their scrapers and they got out of the scraper business when he retired. If you want to borrow it when you do the Vermont class your welcome to try it.I also have a Biax scraper you can use also.Let me know if your interested. Martin

Mr Hendrickson:

I can see why you're having trouble with that tool in precision scraping. The tool is a gasket scraper. It's designed to remove stick gaskets with a series of in-line impacts uswing a scraper something like a chisel. If you mess with it a little you may be able to get it working for you as a precision hand scraper.

Break into the mechanism to see what can be modified to give the scraper a smooth controlled back and forth motion and to control the length of the stroke. This will require some workbench engineering if you're up to it. If there is no way to build in an adjustable stroke length, a permanent stroke setting of 1/4" will be one that allows both fair stock removal and a suitable finish of 10 to 16 spots per square inch.

Here's some important operating features necessary for a power scraper.

The scraper blade needs to be at a suitable angle to the stroke. When the tool is used the scraper stroke is parallel to the work surface. To scrape you simply hold the tool and the scraper does the work for you. If the front end of the tool in angled down by a small amount the tool wants to "ratchet back" in a series of jumps. If the handle end is angled down the tool might cut a little at the start of the stroke but the re will be only a rub mark for the rest of the stroke. There's quite a narrow band where the scraping works satisfactorily.

The power scraper is held parallel to the work and the scraper's "angle of attack" duplicates the angle you find best for your particular grind and the nature of the material. For most gray cast iron and an edge angle of 93 degrees this scraper angle of attack is about 18 degrees.

If you are successful with your modifications to the tool you have and are ready to experiment with it, either bend a blade to the appropriate angle or make a holder that has the angle on it. You will need some rubber compliance to reduce the inevitable chatter.

Anyway, no, yours is not the tool I had in mind but thank you for bringing it forward as a possibility.

Secetal, will you be bringing it to the scraping class? We could look at it there. Another Biax scraper will be most welcome if you can either fetch it or loan it to someone responsible.

Stupid question: please do not flame me!

If you use one of these tools, is the surface still considered "hand scraped"? What is the opposite of "hand scraped" if not?
Perhaps 90% of hand scraped work would use one of these machines to get it almost there, and then the rest completely by hand?

I have used this for precision scraping. The blades I got with it are set up as the "standard"
radius and angle I use on my other scrapers. It really isn't something that can be modified to give a more controled stroke. It is more a matter of learning its action. Like any scraping, the more practice, the better one gets.
I still like my Anderson tool steel the most. You just need to keep the bench stone- Norton fine crytalon cleaned and oiled to sharpen the blade after you've checked for bearing.
Forrest, have you ever used lay out dye as a blueing agent? Useful on hydrostatic machines like Ingersolls.

Hi I know this is a old post but I was wondering if you had any copies of this Manuals that I could trouble you for if needed I’d pay you for your time thanx Mick.

Hi looking for manuals for this Flaker does anyone know where I may find even a copy ? Thankyou Mick

Back