What's new
What's new

BORING ON A MILL

GEORGIE

Aluminum
HI. I GOT A SMALL MACHINE SHOP IN MY DADS PRINTING COMPANY. I'M THE MACHINEST THEIR, BUT IM NOT VERY EXPERIENCED. I CAN DO SIMPLE THINGS..I CAN U SE THE INDEXING HEAD, A BORING HEAD, TURN DIFFERENT THINGS. IVE CUT A COUPLE OF THREADS IN STAINLESS, I CAN WELD A LITTLE BLABLA.

I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN BORE AN ENGINE BLOCK WITH MY MACHINE.. IT WOULD BE A V8 302 CI FROM A MUSTANG

here r some pics http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6956/13fw3.th.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1149/27rm1.th.jpg

The boring head for a automotive application is different from a vertical mill. The tool bit holding is very precise, as well as the depth of the cylinder. In short it is much better and cheaper to have a automotive shop bore the block.

my wheels don't slow me down

Georgie:

Folks are more likely to read your post if you don't shout at them with all caps :D

Engine machine shops have the right equipment to do a great job for very little money. Your mill is not the right equipment.

John

Yes, it can be done, easily if that horizontal is at least a #3. Less than a hour if you know what you are doing, days if you don't. And if you have to ask, you may not be quite ready yet.

If you go to an automotive shop, you are paying most for the honing. You will still need this step anyway.

111_SN2192%20waida%20no1_WEB.jpg

That's what you want to bore a motor. There's some difference between boring a motor & boring a bushing on a lathe. Auto machine shops are cheap.

I agree with gbent, it can be done by someone
with the experience, and the proper tooling.
Unless you're willing to spend a small fortune
for the proper tooling, it would be wiser for
a novice to send it out to a automotive machine
shop, and also a lot less costly in time and
money.
Jamie

Oh yes, an Adcock & Shipley! Wonderful, is it a #2 or #3? I have a #1ES in my shop.

In the horizontal mode...would have to fixture the block, and use a boring bar/arbor to do the work. Use the table-feed to advance the work...being very careful to be certain you have enough travel.

That said, I'd much rather use an auto machine shop!

"Use the right tools for the job"

Back