What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Boss stepper specs

Gary Rose

Plastic
Does anyone have the original specs on the stepper motors used on the Bridgeport BOSS machines (the big ugly ones with the fins all over)?

I know I've seen it before, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I apologize if this question has been asked before....

A friend of mine recently got some and asked for my help.

Gary

1.8 degrees, 200 steps per revolution, 8.5 amps at 58 VDC. Never have seen a spec on their holding torque, but perhaps some of the EE types could make a guess at it. They've definitely got plenty of power for the machines they were originally used on, or for machines of a similar type. Most DIY cnc guru types say they perform best in a half-winding configuration as far as giving the best rapids and smooth operation when used with microstepping drives. I'm not sure what half winding means, but can direct you to a site where that can be clarified if its the kind of thing he's interested in knowing.

[This message has been edited by metlmunchr (edited 08-17-2004).]

Thanks metlmunchr!

I've heard various estimates on the holding torque on the original motors, generally around 1000 oz-in. I don't know how accurate that number is, but I've heard it from more than one source.

I was mostly interested in the current rating. Thanks again!

Gary

I have purchased a BP Ser 1 CNC that has a AH HA upgrade on it. All systems function like they should. I bought it to upgrade to a centroid acorn board with the spindle speed controller for exact rpm. I want to keep the original stepper motors since they are working perfect. I only do R&D a couple parts at a time in aluminum. for you people that are pros in this field, would somebody please tell me if the acorn board will drive the steppers I have? Any info on my upgrade would be appreciated. I am not into speed on the cut, the exact measurement is what counts.

my company used ah-ha design group software as control system for machine retrofit

somewhere in excess of 450 Boss machine retrofits provided by my firm

boss stepper motors were supplied by superior electric and sigma
both sported heat sinks---Boss 2 BP mills had square heat sinks while Boss 3 thru 6 used rounded sinks

Boss steppers from either maker were rated 1100 oz inch holding torque
similar size motors today approach 4000 oz inch torque occupying similar physical envelope

centroid acorn system does not incorporate either step or servo motor amplifying drive capability--it is a control system incorporating beagle bone plug in cpu, i/o ports routed to motor drives, plc i/o, vfd drive i/o to spindle motor, and centroid proprietary software---which is upgraded frequently

I have 5 acorn systems and freely declare acorn to be the most significant
evolution in small user motion control in my 30 years in the industry

your ah-ha control will be at least 25 years old--a great control in its day with many still in use

but you will likely need to source updated step drives which will receive step/direction signals from acorn board output
Boss step motors--the originals-- will seldom allow greater than 300 inches/min
axis travel --
resolution capability of hardware---+/- .0005 in boss3,4,5 while boss 6 features +/- .00025 in factory spec resolution

AH-HA CNC Software help

ArtisanBios.jpg.jpg
I am in need of the boot 3.5" file if you have one. I need to boot the old ah ha so I can get my gcode off the computer. I tried the ah ha program with my gcode and I am very satisfied with the stepper motors and the reach of the x and y axis. With the acorn upgrade with the modern softwares with the new unipolar drives I am more than ok. But I need the boot disk file if you have one. Glad to pay you for it.

jim
863 633 8975
[email protected]

your screen shot appears to indicate loss of operating system access
ah-ha software was dos based with 6.4 or so the last version microsoft

I sold all my ah-ha related materials 10 years ago---but you may find great help and
courtesy support in yahoo user group listed under bridgeport or ah-ha forums

die hard users continue to communicate in these groups

if you intend to switch to acorn-centroid you will need computer capability including
processor speed of 2.3 gigs/sec and windows version 10--if this is your plan no need to trouble with anything ah-ha related

checkout the centroid acorn forum and videos--

Back