What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe 818 Techmaster Info

We recently aquired a Brown & Sharpe 818 Techmaster Surface grinder. The machine works except the wheel head traverse will not work automatically. We are seeking any available information on troubleshooting this problem or locating a set of owners manuals. Thanks.

hello, if you havent found manuals yet, i have a set. the wife can run up to kinkos and run off copies. about 4 hours of messing around, how about 75 dollars ?if interested let me know. jerry.

Hello Jerry,
Thanks for your reply. We are interested in pursuing your offer of making copies of the manuals. Please let me know what you will need to get this process started. Thanks, Darrell

hello Darrell, paypal , or send a check. which ever is easier on you. she can start on them in the morning. thanks, jerry.

Techmaster Manuals

hello, if you havent found manuals yet, i have a set. the wife can run up to kinkos and run off copies. about 4 hours of messing around, how about 75 dollars ?if interested let me know. jerry.

Hi Jerry,

I'm new to this forum and recently we purchased a B & S 824 Techmaster. May I know what manuals do you have? Are these applicable to 824 as well?

Pls. advise.

Thanks,
Klik

Hi everyone

Does anybody still hold manuals or hydraulic schematics for

BROWN & SHARPE 818 TECHMASTER SURFACE GRINDER*

I am having trouble bringing back to life one of these, all electrical stuff is working
Spindle,motors,pumps,plc,switches.

But table won't traverse with hydraulic force.

I am looking for an operation manual and hydraulic logic schematics.

Thanks
Uria

The spool in one of your your solenoid valves is sticking, carefully dissemble it and clean it. What causes this condition? Old and dirty sump.

It's ok, you'll thank me later

The spool in one of your your solenoid valves is sticking, carefully dissemble it and clean it. What causes this condition? Old and dirty sump.

It's ok, you'll thank me later

Hi Otrlt

I already cleaned the sump and replaced oil.

havn't touched the solenoids yet because there are like seven of them sitting on the manifold block and i dont understand the logic.

Its sopposed to be a surface grinder not a space shuttle.

Anyway, when i turn the table feed handle the main table piston pushes the table very gently the to the left end and stops.

I can stop the movement easily with my hand, both limit switches work as i can see their signals on the controller i/o in the cabinet.

Thanks
Uria

I have the 824 techmaster replacement parts manual, which unfortunately doesn't label the function of the various solenoids. Can you unplug various solenoid control coils until you identify the one controlling table feed (or do it by process of elimination)?

I'll agree, these grinders are shockingly complicated for what they do. I have an 818 Techmaster and some oaf removed the entire crossfeed stop assembly, so now it only feeds the wheel towards the operator, backfeed must be done manually.

If you are able to feed the table with the main handle while the grinder is in "feed" mode, that seems consistent with a stuck solenoid spool that's not allowing pressure to build in the main cylinder. When the table cylinder is hydraulically controlled, it also disengages a clutch between the table feed handle and the table drive pinion so the handle freewheels. Same for crossfeed.

Please let me know if you find a manual, I could certainly use one too.

I have the 824 techmaster replacement parts manual, which unfortunately doesn't label the function of the various solenoids. Can you unplug various solenoid control coils until you identify the one controlling table feed (or do it by process of elimination)?

I'll agree, these grinders are shockingly complicated for what they do. I have an 818 Techmaster and some oaf removed the entire crossfeed stop assembly, so now it only feeds the wheel towards the operator, backfeed must be done manually.

If you are able to feed the table with the main handle while the grinder is in "feed" mode, that seems consistent with a stuck solenoid spool that's not allowing pressure to build in the main cylinder. When the table cylinder is hydraulically controlled, it also disengages a clutch between the table feed handle and the table drive pinion so the handle freewheels. Same for crossfeed.

Please let me know if you find a manual, I could certainly use one too.

Hi Halcohead

The clutch does disengage the manual table feed handle when i turn the hydraulic feed handle all the way to the right.

At least now i found the responsible solenoid so i can try to clean it.

By the way do you know why there are two stages for the hyd power handle?
when vertical its off then you can turn it about 30 degrees right for one mode and 60 deg right for the mode thats pushing the table left.
Thanks
Uria

Hello Urea,
The solenoid valve in question, even after it's cleaned may still not function. It is likely that one of it's coils is damaged.

Here is what happens; when the solenoid's spool is stuck (do to contamination of hydraulic fluid) the appropriate coil keeps trying to move the spool. The coil eventually over heats and fails. This is why it is essential to maintain a clean sump.

Although the solenoid valve can be repaired, it is best to purchase the entire solenoid valve (including the coils).

I am also looking for a set of manuals for a Brown & Sharpe 818 Techmaster surface grinder.Thanks

I have the operation/service manual as well as the parts manual for all Techmaster grinders. I'd be willing to make copies if you cover my time and expenses. Please message me if I can help.

Back