What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No. 2 Surface Grinder ?

Dermako

Plastic
In my days of reading previous posts, I read somewhere about a Browne & Sharp No. 2 Surface grinder. I have one of these and is a work in progress. There are a couple versions of these, but my interest in in the dual belt drive models. I have the manual and called Bourn and Koch ( for B&S parts) to order the belts (when I got mine it was beltless). I was told there was only one belt. I questioned this and was assured one would drive the spindle and feed gearbox (they should know right). The belt arrived and I installed it. It is long enough to work, but the highest I can raise the head is about 2" off the mag table without running the counterweight into the right idler pulley (this problem I can deal with, B&K has to make it right or refund my $), but it does not and will not drive the feed gearbox. The problem I have is they cannot seem to come up with a belt for the feedbox drive or routing info for same (there is a separate belt for this). Does anybody have this information?
Thanks
James

Brown & Sharpe No.2 Grinder
Anyone have info on the recommended motor size and a belt diagram, how it snakes through the pulleys/sheeve. I have been unable to locate a manual on my serial #7115.

Thanks

I have a PFD of a No. 2 manual "Operation, Maintenance and Repare Parts" that I can e-mail to any of you if you send me a PM.

Jeff

My #2 has 2 separate motors, flat belt drive for table, and direct motor drive on the spindle. But for you people who need flat belts, Baltimore Belting has good prices, relatively fast service, and they are knowlegeable and interested. They don't do much on the web, though, you have to phone.

smt

Stephen you have one of the High tech modern ones. ;) We have on like that here at work. At the home shop we have the older all belt driven model. I can take a picture and post it tonight if that helps. We just buy the belting and stitching and make them up. They stretch pretty good when new and have to be shortened once or twice before they settle down.

ARB

Here is the picture of the belt on our #2.
There is just the 1 belt.

100_3726.jpg

I got to thinking and looked again tonight.
I was reminded that our gearbox drive belt is broken and not in the picture. It Runs from the back side of the lower left wheel straight up into the housing. Looks like it will be a bear to get the new belt up in there. :(

Just a note about the belt for the table feed it has to be twisted in a figure 8 to reverse the direction so that it runs correctly.

Jeff

I have # 16493. Works fine. The motor has been replaced...cannot see the nameplate....2 hp maybe 3??

Original spindle, rack & pinion table travel. I can hold .0004 and if I flip the part .0002 and if I flip again .0000000000000000001. Not bad for its age.

Just like the photo....flat belt and counter weight for tension.

Fran, posting numbers like that without relating them to anything is sort of irrelevent. What do you mean, and how are you measuring? What amount of area?

A "thin" work piece on a freshly ground chuck will generally mic with indiscernable difference pretty near anywhere. The infamous 5 block test will work "perfectly" on a grinder with pretty well worn ways. etc, etc. Testing whether the grinder grinds flat "everywhere" is another matter.

So if you ground 5 smallish blocks & they all mic exactly the same, big whoop. Still don't know if the grinder is any good or not. Though probably the spindle is ok. If you tested a thick 6" x 18" plate ground on the grinder on a surface plate or CMM, then I am impressed.

smt

If I grind a 6 inch wide by 12 inch long flat stock till it sparks out, then turn so the front is back and the back is in the front and spark out again, it will hold about .0002. This either by measuring along the edges, or flatness by placing on 4 Hoke blocks and indicating the underside.

Acceptable for something probably 50 years old. The .00000000000000000000000000001 a bit of hyperbole measured by eye.

I am looking for a Manual for my Brown & Sharpe No 2 surface grinder if someone has PDF copy they can share.
Thanks,
Chris...

Looking for a few parts for my B&S no 2 surface grinder

I’m in need of some parts , drawings or information for making those parts. Anyone who can help me out I will supply a list of those parts

Back