What's new
What's new

c-mount motor adaptor

Bill D

Diamond
I need to make a mount so I can attach a pressure washer pump to a C-mount motor. My question is should I try to make the mount exact to make everything concentric. Or allow enough slop so it centers on the motor shaft then tighten the bolts to hold it in alignment with oversize bolt holes.
Bill D.

I would center on the C-face flange (the ring).

You can help yourself with something like a Lovejoy "spider" coupling which makes misalignment a minimal worry.

However, commerically available worm speed reducers setup for the C-face motor, have merely a blind, straight-bored and keyed coupling. Apparently the C-face flange is made concentric with the motor shaft, I'd bet on the order of <.003"

The C-face tennon (pilot) is the accessory register. Use it. The holes are merely there for attachment. The endframe is machined with the brg bore and "can" tennon true to c-face pilot. How true the shaft to the c'face pilot depends on the axial and radial alignment of the can and opposite endframe. Do yourself a favor and use a flex coupling of some sort. As poor as ballbearings are made today (at least the ones most "affordable" motors employ), they need all the help they can get.
Many new C-face fractional HP motors are NOT machining the C-face at all. Blame the Europeans for that one. They started it and now most American mfg are heading toward that direction.

Back