What's new
What's new

Clausing Chuck Removal

Fountain Chuck

Plastic
According to the manual," loosen the spindle lock" then rotate the chuck to remove. The spindle lock must be very tight , because I can't budge it.Or I'm doing something wrong. I have a large spanner that I made to fit the lock.Am I missing something? Oh, the lathe is a 5914, 12x36, recently acquired. Thanks.

Fountain I had the same problem with my 5914.

You don't want to go all out for these reasons.

- The locking collar is aluminum and can only take so much torque (I didn't damage mine but I do urge caution).

- The spindle lock, or at least my method is to engage the back gear with the direct drive pin engaged. You don't want to trash the geartrain over this.

I used this combination for success

- Penetrating Kroil or PB Blaster..can't recall which right now.
- Put moderate torque on the collar with the spanner to put some pressure on the chuck.
- Use a deadblow mallet or 16oz ball pein hammer + block of wood. Rotate the chuck and strike medium blows to the chuck back flange. Keep rotating and striking.
- When you get tired, douse again with penetrant and go away. Come back later for another workout session ;)

The impact action plus static load should eventually loosen the chuck and you shouldn't damage anything. The tapered roller bearings in the head are reasonably tough. Real metal parts made to tight tolerances can barely resist oscillating or impact forces in real life, let alone a stinky layer of gum or corrosion by itself. You will eventually prevail.

-Matt

I have one of this lathes. No offense but are you trying to turn it the correct direction? When you're facing the lathe from the front the wrench goes up to remove the chuck. Down to tighten

Maybe i misunderstood.

Is the retention ring frozen or is the assembly of L-00 tapers stuck together?

If the retention ring is stuck, I would suggest liberal penetrating solvent/lube as above, on a daily basis.

Medium blows from a deadblow or rawhide mallet on the outer diameter of the retention ring as you rotate the spindle by hand.

Tap lightly on the end of the spanner wrench as you apply medium static force, again to get a little impact action going.

can I break anything?
See above, the other possibility is that you could mangle one of the spanner holes in the retention ring with too much force, or a pin that slips out of the hole.

-Matt

Fountain...your spindle taper is known as the "long taper" spindle. "00" is the relative size, as there were L-0, L-1, and I think I've seen L-2.

The world kinda got hooked on camlock D- spindles but I like the L-00 just fine.

The chuck won't back off if you plug reverse.

-Matt

Back