What's new
What's new

collets for Vulcanaire Jig Grinding attachment

owlcycle

Plastic
I made an e-bay purchase of a Vulcanaire Jig Grinding attachment which arrived with nary a collet, no suprise, as none were mentioned. Is anyone familiar with these, that could advise me of what collet fits this, and a vendor that could supply them? I,m also concerned with the type of lubricant that is to be blown through this attachment.

Try Vulcan Tool Company @937 253-6194 in Dayton, Ohio. An old friend of mine was the inventor of the Vulcanaire and he died almost exactly one year ago. I have 2 or 3 of the devices. Vulcan Tool was bought out and now specializes in machinery for cutting and shaping the ends of tubing. I believe they have a website, but you'll not find any mention of jig grinders or such. I'm fairly certain that you can still buy collets and other replacement parts from them. I don't think it is a proprietery collet and if you knew what it was you could buy from a different source. Someplace around here I have a brochure on this device, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now. If I come across it, I'll post back here and maybe arrange to photocopy it for you. How much did you wind up paying for yours? I may decide to sell one of mine someday.

Well I made a "good faith" effort to find the brochure, but came up empty. I may also be wrong about the collet being non-proprietery. The collet appears to be a minature ER type collet but smaller than the ER-11 series. The overall length is about .495" and the maximum width is about .396". The width at the two ends appears to be about .280". The two angles are about 10 degrees and 20 degrees. It reminds me of the collets used in die grinders and such. The oil is just a light weight machine oil, probably about the same viscosity as 5w motor oil.Here is a link to some sketches and pictures:

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Ferrofab/

Go ahead and click on the images, they are actually readable although they don't appear to be in the thumbnails.
[This message has been edited by Jim Caudill (edited 01-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Caudill (edited 01-07-2004).]

That was for an old magnetic chuck drill motor. I made the MT adapter out of a Milwaukee part and fabricted the "nut" from scratch.

Back