What's new
What's new

Atlantic Jig Borer

I am going to look at an Atlantic jig borer. Almost for free. No tooling comes with it. I suspect it is not R-8. Does anybody know what taper it might have?

Thanks, Sam

Curiously, nowhere in the Atlantic brochure or price list or spec sheets does it actually say. All it says is 'spindle nose'- 'quick shank'

Seeing as how it looks remarkably like a Moore no. 1 1/2, I suspect, as donie says, it is a Moore taper and they were just too embarassed to admit in writing they "copied" Moore's spindle design !

It's a Moore taper. And Don is right about it not being specified anywhere. I bought one a few years ago from the original owner, and even in the manuals that came along with it there's no spec on the taper.

Thanks for the quick replys. I forgot to mention that this is a model 4000, from the early 1960's if that makes a difference. I guess the Moore tooling is quite rare and expensive?

Sam

My Atlantic brochures are from 1963. Moore tooling is very expensive new but used jig borers prices have fallen so much that I suspect the tooling on the used market is half way reasonable these days.

atlantic.jpg

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 08-15-2004).]

My Atlantic brochures are from 1963. Moore tooling is very expensive new but used jig borers prices have fallen so much that I suspect the tooling on the used market is half way reasonable these days.

atlantic.jpg

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 08-15-2004).]

Longshot given how old this post is, but I am looking at buying an Atlantic Jig Borer Model 4000 - the exact one from your brochure (with a round guard on top, rather than the square one). Would you happen to have the page showing the exact dimensions of the machine? Thanks

Hello< I have searched high and low trying to figure out how to rewire this same machine.
Currenty it is wired for 3 phase 440, I want to rewire it for low voltage 3 phase 230V.
The wires in the motor are T1 threw T6, the wires coming from the control panel are also numbered 1-6
I have a VFD converting the power to 3 phase 230V, everything works but the motor just hums.
i think I need to rewire it at this point but nothing but dead ends so far.
This motor is a GE Polydyne Adjustable Speed drive. complete drive number is 7GV190AA2NJ01
Motor Model is 5K184PG9785
Not sure if this helps, you all have been so helpful in the past.
Thanks in advance.

Six wires coming out of the motor.... That's more likely a two speed motor. Only set up for one voltage. You'll either have to rewire the motor for 230 volt or find you a 230 volt motor to replace the existing one. Last option, is to wire in a step up transformer to step up your voltage from 230 volt to 460 volt.

Six wires coming out of the motor.... That's more likely a two speed motor. Only set up for one voltage. You'll either have to rewire the motor for 230 volt or find you a 230 volt motor to replace the existing one. Last option, is to wire in a step up transformer to step up your voltage from 230 volt to 460 volt.
Thanks for the reply. From my research I have found the same motor on eBay and it was setup for 208-220 (Red motor tag)
Seems someone that owned it threw the years switched it to 440V (gold color tag). The control panel transformer has a jumper setting to switch it back to 220V. I did setup the jumpers for 220V 3 phase which my vfd is setup for. I have attached some pictures of the transformer and scratched off plate with a stamped 440 and ones of the used motor I found on ebay, this is the same with 208-220V. I just need to figure out the right wire setup. there is no books or info at all on the control box that I could find anywhere.

Attachments

• 20230223_171452.jpg
    20230223_171452.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230221_191431.jpg
    20230221_191431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_210458.jpg
    20230219_210458.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • SmartSelect_20230225_164820_eBay.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230225_164820_eBay.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SmartSelect_20230225_164832_eBay.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230225_164832_eBay.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230221_191546.jpg
    20230221_191546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
From my research I have found the same motor on eBay and it was setup for 208-220 someone that owned it threw the years switched it to 440V. .

I think 4GSR meant to say "dual voltage" motor, not two-speed. Motors with the connections for high and low voltages have nine wires coming out, not six. And "the same motor" doesn't mean anything, it's how the coils are wired up inside that counts. Same exact body and size and all that can be internally connected for low voltage or high voltage. Many (or most) have all the leads to connect either way. Those have nine wires. Some do not. Those have six leads and can only be connected one way.

A motor shop, if you have one, can often go inside and pull the other leads you need for low voltage operation. "If you have one" is the magic words now, US infrastructure for this kind of thing is fast disappearing.

If all else fails, you can send it to a village in yunnan where a young girl does this kind of work. Better send a brass hammer along with, she's kind of brutal :)

(lin guo er, youtube)

I'm no expert here, there's others on this forum that are smarter than me on this type of stuff. That transformer is for control voltage. Yes, it has to be set for the correct voltage going in to provide 115 volts out. The polyphase motor says 208-230 volts. It's definitely a two-speed motor set up to run on 230 volts 3-phase. If I read the tag correctly, wire numbers 1, 2, 3 are for high speed and 4, 5, 6 is for the low speed.
I'm not sure where the 440 volts is coming from, from your original post. Unless there is a BIG step down 3-phase transformer hanging off the back side of the borer. How about some more pictures?

I think 4GSR meant to say "dual voltage" motor, not two-speed. Motors with the connections for high and low voltages have nine wires coming out, not six. And "the same motor" doesn't mean anything, it's how the coils are wired up inside that counts. Same exact body and size and all that can be internally connected for low voltage or high voltage. Many (or most) have all the leads to connect either way. Those have nine wires. Some do not. Those have six leads and can only be connected one way.

A motor shop, if you have one, can often go inside and pull the other leads you need for low voltage operation. "If you have one" is the magic words now, US infrastructure for this kind of thing is fast disappearing.

If all else fails, you can send it to a village in yunnan where a young girl does this kind of work. Better send a brass hammer along with, she's kind of brutal :)

(lin guo er, youtube)
I'm no expert here, there's others on this forum that are smarter than me on this type of stuff. That transformer is for control voltage. Yes, it has to be set for the correct voltage going in to provide 115 volts out. The polyphase motor says 208-230 volts. It's definitely a two-speed motor set up to run on 230 volts 3-phase. If I read the tag correctly, wire numbers 1, 2, 3 are for high speed and 4, 5, 6 is for the low speed.
I'm not sure where the 440 volts is coming from, from your original post. Unless there is a BIG step down 3-phase transformer hanging off the back side of the borer. How about some more pictures?
Thanks for the reply, The 3rd picture above that has the scratched out spot and 440v stamped isn't original makings someone stamped it. The motor tag with the red section is the one I found on ebay. came from the same machine as mine. If all the wires need to be the same then Don't I need to change something in the panel to make it 220V three phase? In the panel picture T1-T6 is the motor wires at the bottom, The motor wires are T1 to #1 panel wire all the way to T6- #6 panel wire. Also this has a clutch style belt like a snow mobile machine. kind of like a centrifical clutch.
There is no step down on the machine. I do have these pictures on hand. I can take more tomorrow.
I appreciate the help

Attachments

• 20230222_115929 (1).jpg
    20230222_115929 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230223_155646 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230223_155646 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230223_155701 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230223_155701 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks for the confusion... the pictures from another motor.
Get us pictures of the tag on YOUR motor and post. Even if you have to pull the motor to get to the tag. Should be able to squeeze your camera phone in there and take a picture. I done it before. Then report back.

Thanks for the confusion... the pictures from another motor.
Get us pictures of the tag on YOUR motor and post. Even if you have to pull the motor to get to the tag. Should be able to squeeze your camera phone in there and take a picture. I done it before. Then report back.
The pictures that have the gold color are my original motor tags from the machine. The tags with red are the reference motor from ebay. Hope that makes it less confusing.

My apology. Looks like that motor was rewired for 440 volts. It is a two-speed motor. The only way you are going to make it work on 220 volts is to install a 3-phase transformer to step up the voltage from 220 volts to 440 volts. Or have the motor rewired again back to a 220-volt motor. Or replace the motor with a single speed 220 volt 3-phase motor and power it off of a single-phase input VFD with a 220 volt 3-phase output.

My apology. Looks like that motor was rewired for 440 volts. It is a two-speed motor. The only way you are going to make it work on 220 volts is to install a 3-phase transformer to step up the voltage from 220 volts to 440 volts. Or have the motor rewired again back to a 220-volt motor. Or replace the motor with a single speed 220 volt 3-phase motor and power it off of a single-phase input VFD with a 220 volt 3-phase output.
No problem at all, I started adding photos and my Description wasn't very clear at first. I agree after looking this definitely has 2 speeds. The operator panel in front of machine has a high and low speed switch for the main motor. There are 2 sets of control coils (green units in pictures) When you operate the switch between the two speeds one coil activates.
As for wiring, this is were im stumped. I can't figure out how they made this into a 440v motor. There are 6 leads coming from the motor. There's no junction box with dog bones to configure high and low voltages on the motor. The wires are marked T1 threw T6 and connected to the control box wiring numbered 1 threw 6. I'm pretty sure at this point I will need to replace the motor with a 220v 3 phase to use my VFD.
I can only assume they must have internally changed the poles in the motor.
The transformer inside is the only place we're you can configure high and low voltages. The main power entering the control box go to the leads on the main shut off then to the transformer. You can switch the jumpers to set proper input voltage you are using (see picture, this is the configuration when i bough the machine and is set to 440v.) I found the other U jumper in the bottom of the box to set for 220v 3 phase. One side of the transformer has a 110v output and this controls the auto feed for quill and a motor on top that adjusts the belt for the main motor which are all 110v motors.

Attachments

• 20230221_191546.jpg
    20230221_191546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230221_191554.jpg
    20230221_191554.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230222_115929.jpg
    20230222_115929.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yes, the motor is changed internally. It is rewired to run on 230 or 460 volts. We had a two-speed motor that started out as 440 volts. Dad had it rewired for 220 volts for our home shop at the time. When he started his shop later at a place that had 480, he had the motor rewired again to 460 volts!

Back