Dust Collection System Recommendations - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a Torit VS-550 that's coming up for auction locally. It's a "Vibra-Shake" 550cfm, pretty compact system, in excellent shape. Donaldson's website says it's for intermittent-use for applications of high-efficentcy capture in hazardous materials. Does this sound like the system for me? Only problem is that it's 3-phase...I'd have to get my electrican to come in

I don't have a problem running galvanized duct work...just thought it would be easier to run PVC. Did think of the static electricity problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

applied,
    Just looked on the Torit website at the vibra-shake model info.
    Sounds like a good choice for your application to me -
    The older Torits I'm used to were a real pita to clean the "bags" - all the stuff you collected usually got spread all over the area.

Be careful with the g10. When I said "space suit", I meant it. Look at the ones used on paint applications for catylized paints. Theres a thread on here with some that sound actually comfortable to wear.
    I'd dig further if I were you.
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Toolmkr,

Well I'm glad you think that Torit's a good fit for me, cuz I now own it [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm glad I went to that auction yesterday!

G10's nasty stuff no doubt, and I understand why shops won't touch it. If you don't wear a resporator you'll begin to feel the consquences within 20-30 minutes (I know). I've always dowsed my parts good with coolant to make sure that most of the dust was kept down. But hopefully this new system will allow me to machine it dry and make for a more heathly enviroment. I'll keep you informed on how this experiments works out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should talk to the Torit people, if you don't have all the info about your machine.

Here's the air conditioned hood:from the other thread

here is the thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ic/30/438.html

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sam, Thanks for the link. - Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a 1650cfm 3hp dust collector for dry grinding metal with 50 to 400 grit abrasive. I also wear a respirator.

Even with the dust collector intake right at the source, you might be surprised at how dirty the particulate respirator filters get. For whatever reason, the change from white to light gray (or darker) on the respirator filters is not consistant with hours of use. Maybe changes in grinding angle or being a little closer to the work one day are contributing factors.

Even with a dust collector I'd still wear a respirator. A lot of lung damage from various dusts is cumulative and pretty much what goes in, stays in the lung.

Most noticable with the dust collector is how much cleaner the whole shop stays so they do make a big difference. And, the respirator filters go much longer before needing replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ATTN: Moderator: There's a pattern to this user's posts. Suspect it to be a robot.

Moderator:

Please look at the four posts (to date) by user "daddy2kids".

All four are resurrections of old threads. All four ask for advice. All four contain links to other sites. In at least two cases, it's the same site.

Repetitious use of the word "durable." Awkward grammar and sentence constructions.

Could this "user" actually be a robot, attempting to generate traffic to other sites?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It depends on what type of dust collector you are talking about. There are bag filters, cyclones separators, cartridge filters, pulse-jet to name a few.
    I've seen quite of few woodworkers that prefer Grizzly, Oneida, or Clearvue. And on the other hand, I've seen some buy from Damn Filters or Environmental Filter. However, their main focus is on industrial applications.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanAir707 View Post
    It depends on what type of dust collector you are talking about. There are bag filters, cyclones separators, cartridge filters, pulse-jet to name a few.
    I've seen quite of few woodworkers that prefer Grizzly, Oneida, or Clearvue. And on the other hand, I've seen some buy from Damn Filters or Environmental Filter. However, their main focus is on industrial applications.
    Spammer. please curl up and die.