What's new
What's new

elliott concorde 460

joshm

Plastic
Hi I have a Elliott concorde 460 lathe and i need to refill the gearbox with oil does any body know want grade of oil this machine takes
I don't have a maunal for it
thanks

If you mean the feed gearbox,you don`t put oil in it.The oil get`s pumped from the reservoir under the headstock,up to the headstock and drains back to the reservoir through the feed gearbox.The oil used is an ISO32 hydraulic oil.These are very good machines with quite a big swing.I have had a few of them and currently have a 550 which is it`s big brother.They are also sold as a Butler 460 and 550.
Mark.
www.ems-fife.co.uk

Hi mark
thanks for that information I have just got this lathe second hand from a auction in Aust and have no info on it. Can you tell me the good and bad points for the machine also the clutch does not want to stay engaged I have to use a weight hanging from the lever to keep it in gear has this been a problem for you if so do you know how to fix it.

Regards
Josh

Josh,you need to adjust the cluch quickly before you wear out the operating fork.One of the problems on these machines is play in the linkage to the clutch.If you remove the cover from the back of the headstock you will see the Matrix clutches.To adjust,put clutch lever in neutral,slide back the knurled locking ring and put a 1.5mm feeler gauge/shim behind the lock plate.Adjust the locking ring until the feeler is firmly clamped,note the position of the ring,unscrew it slightly to get the feeler out,screw it back to noted position and slide knurled locking ring back to position.Repeat for other clutch and for middle one which is the brake.
Check that the motor is running in the right direction.The headstock pulley should run clockwise or the oil pump will be going the wrong way.
I have had four of these machines and the faults have always been the same.Play in the clutch linkage normally caused by wear in the keys and keyways on the sliding shaft.The plate on top of the feed gearbox for lever positions and the big one on the front of the headstock are always illegible due to operators using the gearbox as a shelf.Spares are available and cost a fair bit but cheaper than Colchester.
Good points.Nice well made solid machine.The single dog threading clutch is a joy to use,means you don`t have to watch the threading dial and can screwcut faster.Big swing in the gap,I think it`s a 26" four jaw on mine and can swing about 32/34". 3.125" or 3.562" up the spindle depending upon spindle nose option.
I have a manual somewhere.
Mark.

Hi Mark
Thank you for info on this machine I think the old owner has said he has been using the weight for about 10 years so the forks would be stuffed by now and yes the plates for the screw cutting have been damaged from years of using it as a tool holder. If you do have a manual and would to sell it please tell how much.And thank you for your info on this machine it has been very good to talk to you
Regards

Josh

Josh,you can take the clutch forks (I think they might be rings) out and build them up.
I only have one manual and want to keep it.I normally make a new plate for the feed box levers and teep the numbers on.If you email me your email address I can type the info out for you or if you have a fax number it might fax.Email me at [email protected]
Mark.

Hellow everyone.new member from Oman.recently purchased a Butler 460 that was being scraped in a scrap yard.been hustling to rebuild it.but got stuck with the matrix clutch as it's too busted with rust specially the pressure rings,the gears, knurled rings,tiny rollers and the component where they sit.all else seems fairly repairable.these are the only parts actually that's a little beyond repair.can anyone with a copy of the manual please help out.

Attachments

• IMG20240403161732.jpg
    IMG20240403161732.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20240401135233.jpg
    IMG20240401135233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20240401135229.jpg
    IMG20240401135229.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Back