What's new

emco v10p metric/imp wheels

• Thread starter dot
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 7,015
D

dot

I read that a few members bought these machines. Lathes uk discribes the machine as for 2 different markets imperial/metric).When you use the changegears to switch from imp to metric i think it will cut an approximate tread. When you changed to metric does this mean you need to make all the combinations for treading with changegears,or does the norton gearbox compensate for the error in the leadscrew. That means there is onely one type of gearbox. ...easier to think of all the possible problems than to write it down.

Thank you but i will pass. I do not yahoo. Less effort to just take a look at the machine.

I had one of those for awhile and I remember it had one helluva a pile of changegears, like 30 or so in two sets and according to the manual would cut some very strange threads. I am inclined to think that each metric thread had a specific combination of gears unlike the more common method of using transposing gear and gearbox. BUT caveat emptor it was awhile ago and I'm no expert
Bob

That means i have to ask for more gears than the two i can see in the picture. This reply saved me from a big disappointment.

What follows is my understanding of the V10-P threading possibilities based on Emco-Maier literature.

Assuming the machine in question is an English (inch) model, then there are 24 inch threads (and feeds) available directly (through lever change) at the Norton type quick-change gear box.

The inch machine can also cut precise metric threads via the Universal quadrant and change gear set which were optional.

There are 12 wheels in the set, seven of which are mounted, in various combinations, to a special "universal" quadrant to provide a range of metric pitches. Each of the six possible gear combinations will yield 5 to 8 pitches (available through the quick-change gear box levers) with some duplication. A total of 19 different metric pitches are possible altogether.

The Universal Quadrant and change gear set will be required to cut metric threads on the inch machine. The inch leadscrew will necessitate the half nuts to remain closed during threading operations.

The same applies to metric machine owners who want to cut inch threads, only the Universal Quadrant is different for the metric machine. The change gear set for either inch or metric is the same with 12 wheels of 25, 30, 35 and so on, to 80 teeth.

The Universal Quadrant and change gears are used in place of the Standard Quadrant. The Standard Metric Quadrant carries four gears arranged in one permanent combination. The Standard English Quadrant carries five gears in a single, permanent combination.

Thank you for the info. It will realy be my lucky day if the gears are of the same modul. All the gears you mentioned are with my old lathe.

dot - should you come up with the correct change gears don't forget this is only half the battle. You will need the "Universal Quadrant" to mount the gears. This piece has slots for mounting the gears in various combinations (and therefore varying center distances).

The Standard Quadrant has fixed-center mounting locations and can therefore only accommodate the standard (non-interchangable) gear train.

Dot: If you'd like a scan of the 2 pages related to the inch and metric gear boxes and gear placements, please email off list.
Den

Are there 2 types of universal quadrants? One for the metric lathe & one for the English? I think i saw 2 differrent types in the manual but it's a bit confusing as to which is for a metric lathe & which is for the English lathe.I think the set of (12)change gears is the same for both English & metric lathes.My problem is i have an English lathe but i was given a universal quadrant but i'm not sure if it's for my English lathe or if it's for the metric one.I have the quadrant with the longer mounting leg on the end. Any help would be appreciated in clearing this up.

Hi there Frank,
I don't know if you found a solution to your issue with your imperial vs. metric quadrant for your EMCO lathe, but I'm very much interested in acquiring or building a quadrant for my EMCO MAXIMAT COMPACT 3100! Mine came with a two-speed pulleys system, and I can't cut threads with that, just have a fast pass for fast material removal and a speed for finish pass with the pulleys..
If other readers have specs/drawings/designs/parts for the universal quadrant (EMCO Part number M-3120), please pretty please contact me!
Thanks
Laurent

Back