Even More Machinery Rebuilds...Takisawa Lathe - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I recall, the factory is actually in Taiwan, and hopefully has not moved to China.
    Yes, from what I can tell, the manufacturing arm of the company was spun-off from the Japanese parent and officially named Taiwan-Takisawa. You can read their whole history on the website:

http://www.takisawa.co.jp/

The link to the TSL manual lathes only works from the Japanese version though.

Jim,

Iím sure other lathes will be different, but most of the gears and components on the Takisawa spindle are precision slip fit. Many of the gears run on the spindle with bronze bearings and internal oil passages. The two exceptions are the front and rear tapered roller bearings. The rear bearing is a slight press fit but the main bearing requires a good mechanical press to remove it from the spindle.

I rigged up a support for the spindle on the carriage to aid in disassembly. That way I could slowly slide the spindle out as I sequentially removed each component from the spindle shaft. I took lots of notes and photos to ensure I could capture the proper orientation of each component.

Reassembly was the reverse procedure. The spindle bearings actually press on very easily when heated to 250F. Be sure to follow the meticulous instructions given by Forrest Addy for precision spindle bearing installation. Iíve got the link around here somewhere; Iíll post it when I dig it up. Iíve also got lots of photos and war stories I could email you if you ever decide to take on the project. It also helps to have the original factory drawings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info and link, Tak. The lathe here has a broken gib on the cross slide -- I'll have to try to get a new one. Maybe I can talk the people here into buying me a new one with the longer bed.

Were these popular in the States? Is Takisawa a big name in CNC? I never heard of them before. I don't know about going into business, sooo much red tape it makes my head hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see you fitted a DRO on your lathe. What brand is it? I've got a 13x40 Colchester I've been seeking a reasonable readout for.

Tahnks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tak, why did you take the bearings off the spindle,did you need new bearings? Seems like the front bearings could stay on the spindle and I guess the rear one would have to come of to get the gears off? And yes if you get the time to Email me pictures of the spindle removal it would be appreciated Thanks Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuzzbean:
    Yes, Takisawa CNC stuff, from what Iíve heard, is very well made and extensively used. Maybe not quite as popular as Mori Seiki or Okuma. Iím not really sure how many of the manual TSLs were sold in the States. Another member has recently contacted a Takisawa distributor in Chicago and confirmed that new TSLs are still available in Japan.

gradstdnt_99:
    Itís a 12X36 Newall C-80 package purchased from Can-Do machinery. Iím very satisfied with it but there is another member on this board who is apparently convinced that I was ripped off!

Jim:
    Again, Iím no bearing expert but from what Iíve read, all of the literature states that precision roller bearings come in matched sets so we decided to keep the bearing cones with their respective lathes, rather than try to press the cups out of the headstocks. Just to be sure they were interchangeable, we compared both spindles side by side and all bearing and gear surfaces were identical to better than 0.0005Ē so we were pretty confident with the swap. Even so, I still needed to do a very slight amount of honing on one of the floating clutch gears on the D1 spindle to get it to spin freely.

Iíll try to get a bunch of pictures posted on my website sometime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good point on the bearings .I'll keep it in mind and I will check your web site later Thanks Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting all this Tak. We recently picked up an 800 for the shop and your project is inspiring! I doubt I could talk them into taking it out of service long enough to do a proper rebuild though. But that's one nice thing about these lathes, mechanicaly they need very little, it's the horrible finish on them that makes you want to rip them apart and start over. Is that a Southbend carriage stop you adapted?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, are the photos still up, I tried to view them but got page error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry1967 View Post
    Hi, are the photos still up, I tried to view them but got page error.
    Tak has not posted since '06. Photos are long gone, anyone know what happened to Tak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good question. I bought a Takisawa 4 years ago, and tried to reach him all the usual ways, with no response.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to dig this thread back up from the dead...

Through the magic of the 'Wayback Machine' the photos of member Tak's TSL lathe restoration can be found here:
    metalworking.com - /DropBox/
    Simply scroll down to the files labeled "Takisawa" and click on them.

While this internet time machine thing is pretty good, it is far from perfect. I have been trying to obtain the 18 pages of detailed parts drawings that were posted on his [now defunct] Reynolds Precision Machining business website (rpmachining.com), which can be accessed here:
    Technical Documents

However, you will notice that there are a few key files/pages that did not get archived, specifically:
    "Drawing011.JPG"
    "Drawing013.JPG"
    "Drawing014.JPG"
    "Drawing015.JPG"
    "Drawing016.JPG"
    "Drawing018.JPG"

Did anybody here ever download these 13+ years ago when he posted them on his webpage? If so, I'd really love to get those 6 missing files mentioned above.

Thanks!
    JJ

p.s. - if anybody feels compelled to contact Tak, he did list a phone number on his old website...perhaps it still works - (949) 632-8997

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for digging up those pix, JJ. I used to look at them occasionally for inspiration.

I may have those 6 missing files. I definitely have 11,13 and 14. They're all, from what I can tell, the exploded parts drawings for the parts manual, which I have in PDF form.

Sending an email. The site form doesn't allow email attachments, AFAIK, but we'll get it figured out.

Neil

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Thanks for digging up those pix, JJ. I used to look at them occasionally for inspiration.

I may have those 6 missing files. I definitely have 11,13 and 14. They're all, from what I can tell, the exploded parts drawings for the parts manual, which I have in PDF form.

Sending an email. The site form doesn't allow email attachments, AFAIK, but we'll get it figured out.

Neil
    Thanks! I got your email and replied back to it with an attachment that has the pages that I have. Once I get a bunch of Takisawa TSL documentation completed I plan to post it to the manuals page.

JJ