What's new
What's new

Anybody Interested?

enginebuilder

Stainless
I haven't been around much the last month, been kind of laid up. June 2nd, had to have major foot surgery, fairly large piece of my left foot amputated, due to diabetes / bone infections. So, basically, I am going to be shutting down my business and trying to peddle all my equipment. Doc says no more standing on my feet all day . Notice the handle, "enginebuilder". I had a engine machine shop. I know a lot of you guys work with this stuff, so I thought I'd make this post. I have someone coming to help me evaluate my machinery and once that is done, I may post a list in the machinery for sale section, if it's ok with Sir Don. I know most of what I have isnt general machine tools, but from participating here over the last year I know some of you guys go in for this kind of stuff. So Don, alright if I post my life for sale over in the for sale board in the near future? If anyone has any questions please email off the board, I don't want to plug up the works here
Thanks
Jim

Jim;
Sorry to hear about the amputation, and you have
my best wishes for a quick healing. I've lost
a lot of relatives, most who didn't make it to
their 40's, to type 2 Diabeties.
I feel blessed that I don't have it, but you never know till it happens. Take care of your
self, and now more than ever, make sure you get
plenty of exercise, and avoid standing or sitting
for long periods. You don't want to lose any more
parts.
Wishing you the best, and a fast recovery.
Jamie

Jim,

I am a diabetic as well my feet feel like a toothache most of the time but so far I have both of them, amputation is my biggest fear.
I wish you the best of luck & a speedy recovery.

Jackmo

Sorry to hear about your illness. I had a major bone infection on my thumb, they wanted to take it all, I said no, they took only a little. I really feel for you guys (gals) with diabetes.

Your machinery for sale would be welcomed in the classifieds, JRouche

Jim,

Really sorry to hear about your plight. How
long have you been diabetic? What were the
first signs? Just curious as my Dad was diabetic
and he was first aware of it in his mid 40's
and I am 45. Have you thought about a career
change? Good luck with your recovery and
whatever you decide to do,...........Bob

Jim,
Sorry to read of your problems. I have several friends who are automotive machine shop owners. As you list equipment, I will keep them informed. Or better yet, I'll send them here to take a look.
Bset wishes and take care of yourself. As America ages and grows heavier, diabetes is becoming a real problem for many of us. So far I keep things under control by not eating sweets and no white bread.
Dave

that sucks, what are you going to do now? Have you considered keeping your shop going and hiring someone to do the work that you could supervise? Your stuff is worth far more operating and producing income than it is as used machinery. Just an idea that you may not of considered.
Remember there was a time when you didn't know sheeet and had to learn everything. Find the right young guy [or gal] with a good attitude you can train him and then sell the company to him. THis may be a good oportunity for you and someone else.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Diabetes is a nasty disease, mainly because you dont ever feel sick. I've had it about 10 years now, first found during blood tests when I was bitten by a damn hobo spider. Signs where there earlier though, loss of feeling in my toes was the first signs for me, I just didnt know better. I just thank God I have no problems with my eyes like some people do.
I cannot justify trying to keep the shop going any longer, it has been a horrible last 3 years barely getting by, in fact not getting by, just getting deeper in. The engine trade is a dying thing. Engine shops as a whole have been dropping like flies for 4 years now, something like 25-30% of them closed in the last 4 years. Hence the market is flooded with used equipment, good for buyers, bad for sellers like me. Just like you're machine tools, older stuff might bring more at the scrap yard than auction. At least my bank is willing to let me try an liquidate the stuff, cause they know they WILL loose at an auction. So,as soon as get some ideas what to ask for the stuff I'll post a list in the machinery section.
As far as what to do for a career. I still dont have a clue. The docs have me trying to get on disability now, but I dont think I'll get it. Montana doesnt have any temp disability,it's all or none. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Work and pay taxes all your life then you cant even get any of your own money back. Hell I'm 42 in Sept, my retirement age is pushed to like 77, I'll never live that long. So much for all the FICA money I paid in. One thing for sure, I'll need a sit down job what ever it is.
I had a young guy who had the money to buy me out, but he decided against it. He has a good thing going already and wasn't ready to take a risk.
If anybody is money'ed up, the whole shootin match can be had for the bank payoff, approx $63000.00. And I'll stick around to train the new owner(s)
Again thanks for all the well wishes, I really appreciate them
Jim
PS: I have a huge pile of core engine parts, heads, manifolds, blocks, cranks, rods ect. If anyone is looking for anything, email me off list with exactly what you're looking for. If I have it, I'll make a deal.

I am also engine orientated. I have a friend in a wheel chair and not much slows him down when it comes to cars. When I set up my new shop I made sure there was room for him to wheel around.

Anyway, I know this is likely too late to change your course of action but my friend got me to thinking what changes I would have to make in the shop if I became disabled. Things like lowering some machines or a raised floor, etc. I came to the conclusion that 90% of it could be done. More hoists, ramps, etc. An awful lot of things in any shop can be done sitting down if provisions are made for it.

Engine guys, like job shops are harder to come by these days and you might consider the course I took. Quit being all things to all people. You know what I mean. Back off a little and specialize in the area you enjoy the most,that is needed in your area and makes the most profit. Dump everything else. I went this route during one of those recessions that aren't supposed to exist and have not regretted it.
Just a thought and good luck.

Enginebuilder,

I wish there were another way! You will miss your shop!! I wonder if there are opportunities for you to get into teaching the skills you have mastered? (Of course, that requires being on your feet maybe too much...)

I know your post meant "anyone interested" in buying some of your stuff, so I can't help there, but was interested in how you would turn this into something positive.

Best wishes, and be open to a new opportunity--maybe something you hadn't thought of before. Sometimes life takes some strange turns.

Stephanie

I helped liquidate a crank and camshaft shop last weekend. There will be another one soon, when the owner's other shop hits the auction block. The first one was quite a shop, and if he had sold everything, he might have made enough to keep the second one running. However he pulled stuff out as fast as we could line it up getting ready for the auction. Took it to the other shop, thinking he would be able to save it.
The bank says it all has to go now.
Hopefully you have better luck than the owner of this shop did.
Good luck with your health!
David from jax

Fueler1 / Stephanie
I know that I could revamp and make room to work around sitting down, the main trouble is that the buis has been so slow it isnt worth the effort. I shoulda bailed 2 years ago. Thats partialy why my feet went bad, working 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to stay afloat. No more. I have 2 plans that may allow me to keep enough stuff to maintain the Harley work That I have built up the last 2 years. It isnt enough to live on, but would make a nice second income for a few hours a week. Just depends on how things go.
I have given thought to maybe doing the teaching thing, however there isnt anywhere here that I could do it. It would mean relocation, and I already know for a fact, if I move, its gonna be to some little po-dunk town that the damn yuppies want nothing to do with. Hell a 1/4 acre here with a 20 year old single wide is going for 150 grand and more!!! Can you say Aspen, Vail?
Kalispell is fast headed that way. I hate it anymore, but I love the outdoor recreation here, thats why I stay. I can jump in the truck and be huntin elk,deer,bear,inside of 1/2 hour. Heck I can be fishing in 5 minutes.
I am doing pretty good about staying positive. I know something better will be around the corner. I just need to be aware. Just cleaning up the mess is a PIA.Again , thanks for the wishes.

Jim

When things like this happen it is real easy to be negative.I know.
You will make your decisions and maybe regret some of them.Look deep enough and you will see all sorts of opportunity and good fortune come your way.When something bad happens to us;or what we perceive as bad,it could actually be a blessing in disguise.You may have more time for the wife or grandkids etc.You might just be there to save them from something ,now that you have the time where if you were working ,who knows?

I hope you get what I mean.All my best and have a speedy recovery.Best of luck in what I am sure is going to make you happier.

So much for all the FICA money I paid in.
What about Social Security Disability? That's
Federal and I knew a few people who were getting
it and it paid pretty well $1800 a month. It was
a fight for the one lady to get it, but when
she won her case, she received back pay of
$42,000. Unfortunately I no longer have contact
with these people or I could get some insight
for you. There has to be some kind of program
that will pay for some training of some sort
as you can no longer work in your chosen field.
I can't believe $150K for a single wide and
1/4 acre, I assumed Montana was cheap. Hang in
there Jim, I know it's tough, but as they say
"Tough times don't last, tough people do."

Sorry to hear it. I've enjoyed your posts, and get the impression you are a positive thinker, so will overcome this and hopefully move on to something even better. A friend of mine in his seventies, who I didn't know in his younger years, was into racing, excavation, a lot of very active outdoor business and personal activities. He lost both legs above the knee to diabetes. He still flies a powered ultralight, nearly every clear day. Has his car worked out with hand controls, can get himself and his chair in and out. I think a big factor is that he didn't go all reclusive, as some do, afraid of being a burden on their friends. Best thing to do in your situation is take advantage (in a good way) of your friends, most will be glad to help out if you take the lead. Keep making the rounds and staying in touch. Good luck with your next venture. Oh, yeah, and pay attention to the doc and don't lose any more parts!

smt

Jim, my take on this is a little different from the others.

"So Don, alright if I post my life for sale over in the for sale board in the near future?"

This statement from your initial post really hit me. I realize I can't imagine your anguish and fright at all you're beginning to loose. It really must be terrifying despite the bravery you show. It pretty much leaves me speechless. What really can I say that might matter.

It's not very clear to me how well you understand how disability and such things work in Montana. I sure don't know, but has anyone actually reviewed things with you?

You have at least three potential disabilities: the diabetes, the amputation, and the peripheral neuropathy (the numbness, pain and tingling). Each affects your employability in a different way. Since they are not going away with treatment, they are permanent. As far as I know, anyone with a permanent disability that affects their employability can apply for Social Security Disability, and if they don't get it, they can expect to get Vocational Rehabilitation services that will get them into a career that will accomodate their disability and pay a living wage.

You can certainly apply for Social Security Disability and should have by now, whether your doctors agree or not. SSD uses it's own "independent" consultants to determine disability and whether it prevents work. They certainly take into account the findings and opinions of all the doctors involved in your case.

In our state, something like 90% of applications are rejected the first submission. Everybody re-applies. 70% are rejected. Everybody re-applies a third time. 40% or 50% are rejected. After these three cycles, you are permitted a hearing. Most of the remaining people who have real disability receive SSD at the time of this final appeals hearing.

This sort of prolonged process is purposefully difficult; they're betting many people will simply give up after the first or second rejection. You need to get a legal aid attorney or paralegal whose practice is full of SSD applications. This is the person who ultimately goes to the appeals hearing with you. You must have an advocate who knows what's going on.

It's my understanding that everyone going through what you are going through, or who is getting rejections from SSD, can receive services from Vocational Rehabilitation. I googled Montana and they have a state Vocational Rehabilitation program. I would think your doctors or the hospital you were in should have helped inform you of this stuff. Did they?

It wasn't your fault you got diabetes genes. Everybody pays into Social Security so that if they can't work because of disease or injury, they get help in these ways. You paid the premiums. It's now time to make your rightful claim, just like fire insurance, auto insurance or health insurance.

Forgive me if I'm making bad assumptions about you. If I'm wrong, maybe what I say will help someone else in a similar situation.

Finally, I sure hope you have someone you talk to, someone you're comfortable saying anything to. And, I really hope you're not using alcohol. If you are, stop it immediately. Very dangerous right now.

Hi Jim,

Very sorry to hear about your health problems.

Regarding Social Security Disability:

Everything you need to know is on the website http://ssa.gov/ including instructions and forms. You can fill out the application right on the site and submit it online through a secure server. You'll need the names and addresses of your physicians.

You'll want to document the date on which you became unable to work. This will determine the start date of the benefits.

The local SSA office will call you in to review the form and make sure they have all the required information.

The actual determination of disability is done by state health departments. They will set you up with an appointment for a medical evaluation, at your convenience. The only reason people get turned down is because they lie. Legitimate claims are approved the first time.

The local SSA office will call you in for an interview after they receive the report from the state. You'll need an original birth certificate in order to receive benefits.

Leigh

Back