What's new
What's new

Freshly Scraped Mill Table (Add Value??)

A power scraper?

Campbell_Hausfeld_Air_Chisel_TL1003_Shop_Tools-resized200.jpg

The blurb in that auction says:

MARENA INDUSTRIES OFFERS A REBUILDING SERVICE FOR MILLING MACHINES, ENGINE LATHES, AND ALL GRINDERS TO NEW MFG. STANDARDS. ALL OUR REBUILDS HAVE A 1 YEAR OR 3000 HOUR WARRANTY WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. MACHINES CAN BE SHIPPED TO OUR FACILITY FOR GRINDING SERVICES. SERVICEMEN ARE AVAILABLE TO TRAVEL TO YOUR PLANT FOR SCRAPING, FITTING AND ALIGHNMENT OF MILLING MACHINES, LATHES AND CENTERLESS GRINDING MACHINES.
I hope anyone who ever thinks about hiring one of their "servicemen" gets to see some of their work first.

From the looks of their other mills (Bpts) it looks like they "tattoo" all of them with their signature scraping.

-DU-...etc...

Sort of a response to the original question. Some mill tables had a scraping pattern on them, but most were plain. I have never seen one that looked like this example.

We scrape in custom tools at our shop (we make air bearings that go in CMMs and metrology frames). That scraping would best be described as "non-canonical." Looks like they randomly dug channels into the table. I guess if you need a bridgeport for strictly roughing, that's your candidate.

Scraping is merely a process. Its appearance can be used to indicated restored precision fits and bearings as well as deception to make junk look pretty.

So be skeptical of scraping jobs especially on old machine tools sold as rebuilt or re-manufactured. Some pretty good scraper hands best work looks irregular and blotchy yet the bearing is good and the fits and alignments are in spec. I've seen some scraping work that's absolutely gorgeous in appearance but without the quality of bearing. And all stages in between.

I wouldn't suggest anyone pay the going price for a rescraped machine tool without conducting a new machine survey and acceptance test sheet.

It looks more likely that it has not been scraped but has been done with an angle grinder with a flap wheel I have seen this done before and the result looks identical to the photo.
MBB

It just occured to me that this is being offered from a company called Marena Industries. It's just a guess but they may be closely related to the boating industry and this item might just be a cleverly disguised boat anchor.

Free handed with an angle grinder?
Ran a worn out end mill across it?

Back