What's new
What's new

Funniest shop pranks and stories

Maverickmachinist

Cast Iron
What are the funniest pranks and stories you remember from the shop? I remember a few but not many.

I remember in high school I got a freshman back, by putting his lathe feed in reverse. The look on his face when he went to take a cut was priceless. It was always fun to blank the screen on this CNC mill we had while the operator wasn't looking.

What are the funniest pranks and stories you remember from the shop? I remember a few but not many.

I remember in high school I got a freshman back, by putting his lathe feed in reverse. The look on his face when he went to take a cut was priceless. It was always fun to blank the screen on this CNC mill we had while the operator wasn't looking.

Ones that I've done:

-Wire-tied a spring to a guys toolbox drawer on the inside so that when he pulled it open it it slammed it back shut. That took awhile but was worth it.

-Same guy I put his toolbox on blocks so that the wheels were barely off the floor. He gives it a yank to move it and doesn't go anywhere
. I come in the next night and my box is on blocks with the wheels off. :D

-One guy had his shop-issued brass putty knifes neatly placed in a screwdriver holder. The handles opposite each other with the blades against each other. I swapped them out with two that I JB Welded the blades together. The look on his face when they both came out together.
Another time I swapped his pack of cigarettes in the top till with a pack i had put in the shop press and ran up to fifty tons. I should mention he was an old hippie and a had a little too much fun back in the day.(RIP, Touhey)

Ones done to me:

-Had the top drawer of my box FILLED with plastic resin pellets (about the size of grains of wheat)on top of the small hand tools. That was right up to the edge of the line but he was a friend so I just reminded him I knew how to weld and had all of third shift to mess with his box.

-It was real common while I was working on a mold in the press and not watching my back to get a blast from a fire extinguisher in the ass, be wire-tied to the tiebar, or my my frayed jeans set on fire.

Just plain wrong:

-Had a guy who was a helluva moldmaker but had some issues. One time he put a dead bird in a guys box just before a long weekend. Another time he put some of his own feces in a small plactic squirt bottle and would sneak up behind someone and "puff" some of that nasty air in their face. Kharma and a substance problem are catching up that guy.

Ones that I've done:

-Wire-tied a spring to a guys toolbox drawer on the inside so that when he pulled it open it it slammed it back shut. That took awhile but was worth it.

-Same guy I put his toolbox on blocks so that the wheels were barely off the floor. He gives it a yank to move it and doesn't go anywhere
. I come in the next night and my box is on blocks with the wheels off. :D

-One guy had his shop-issued brass putty knifes neatly placed in a screwdriver holder. The handles opposite each other with the blades against each other. I swapped them out with two that I JB Welded the blades together. The look on his face when they both came out together.
Another time I swapped his pack of cigarettes in the top till with a pack i had put in the shop press and ran up to fifty tons. I should mention he was an old hippie and a had a little too much fun back in the day.(RIP, Touhey)

Ones done to me:

-Had the top drawer of my box FILLED with plastic resin pellets (about the size of grains of wheat)on top of the small hand tools. That was right up to the edge of the line but he was a friend so I just reminded him I knew how to weld and had all of third shift to mess with his box.

-It was real common while I was working on a mold in the press and not watching my back to get a blast from a fire extinguisher in the ass, be wire-tied to the tiebar, or my my frayed jeans set on fire.

Just plain wrong:

-Had a guy who was a helluva moldmaker but had some issues. One time he put a dead bird in a guys box just before a long weekend. Another time he put some of his own feces in a small plactic squirt bottle and would sneak up behind someone and "puff" some of that nasty air in their face. Kharma and a substance problem are catching up that guy.

Just two -

When I was in high school and college I worked for a small company on LI in their shop. Once a few guys filled up the shipping guy's car with packing peanuts. Another time, this was in the late '70's, we had an older guy working in another department who had a tiny Honda car - smaller than a Civic - we picked up his car and hid it behind the dumpster. The look on his face was priceless when he walked out of the shop and couldn't find his car. He had a good sense of humor and laughed when he found the car.

Just two -

When I was in high school and college I worked for a small company on LI in their shop. Once a few guys filled up the shipping guy's car with packing peanuts. Another time, this was in the late '70's, we had an older guy working in another department who had a tiny Honda car - smaller than a Civic - we picked up his car and hid it behind the dumpster. The look on his face was priceless when he walked out of the shop and couldn't find his car. He had a good sense of humor and laughed when he found the car.

Fill a surgical rubber tube full of water and close a desk drawer on the open end. Cut the piece hanging out off with a razor knife. When person opens desk they do not know what to think about the high pressure stream hitting them in the chest. For people who think prussian blue is fun to play with, squeeze two or three tubes into their air hose and reinsert the blow gun. Turns their entire world blue. When you are really really upset with someone, grind one flat spot on one wheel of their tool box. I have 6000 of these, I got stop.

Fill a surgical rubber tube full of water and close a desk drawer on the open end. Cut the piece hanging out off with a razor knife. When person opens desk they do not know what to think about the high pressure stream hitting them in the chest. For people who think prussian blue is fun to play with, squeeze two or three tubes into their air hose and reinsert the blow gun. Turns their entire world blue. When you are really really upset with someone, grind one flat spot on one wheel of their tool box. I have 6000 of these, I got stop.

I had some human scent mask for hunting.......a few drops from each bottle on something porous like bark or a rag. Whew, real bad, it smelled just like a skunk! I only used it once for hunting, it was way too much.

A guy at work was always pulling pranks on others. One morning his rollaround toolbox lock was picked and in the lower junk drawer went a rag with the Skunk stuff on it. You could smell the toolbox from 10 feet away. Arriving at work he openned the thing and the smell toasted your nose 20 feet away. He looked and looked, finally giving up thinking a Skunk somehow sprayed the toolbox. He never did figure it out.

I had some human scent mask for hunting.......a few drops from each bottle on something porous like bark or a rag. Whew, real bad, it smelled just like a skunk! I only used it once for hunting, it was way too much.

A guy at work was always pulling pranks on others. One morning his rollaround toolbox lock was picked and in the lower junk drawer went a rag with the Skunk stuff on it. You could smell the toolbox from 10 feet away. Arriving at work he openned the thing and the smell toasted your nose 20 feet away. He looked and looked, finally giving up thinking a Skunk somehow sprayed the toolbox. He never did figure it out.

Or, for someone who took a new (saved for seven weeks to buy it) B&S #1 mic with friction spindle, carbide faces, the works... just before the winter holidays and "wrung" it closed so tight it had to be sent away for repairs...

"Someone" waited until late July then got a dozen eggs and cracked six down into each air vent just in front of the windshield. In not too many days the eggs made their presence known.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, did you know that, at least on early 1960's cars, there is no way to clean the inside of the air ducts in a car's firewall without cutting it open with a torch?

Or, for someone who took a new (saved for seven weeks to buy it) B&S #1 mic with friction spindle, carbide faces, the works... just before the winter holidays and "wrung" it closed so tight it had to be sent away for repairs...

"Someone" waited until late July then got a dozen eggs and cracked six down into each air vent just in front of the windshield. In not too many days the eggs made their presence known.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, did you know that, at least on early 1960's cars, there is no way to clean the inside of the air ducts in a car's firewall without cutting it open with a torch?

Take a peice of surgical tubing fill with dry ice and firmly tie of both ends . Quite some time later the hose will have expanded to the burst point and give a cosiderable bang. You of cource have plenty of time to be inocently somewhere else.
Another is to take a blanke long play cassett tape and near the end record something such as "Help let me out" put cassett in player and leave running in a drawer. all is quite for the first hour and then voices come from the drawer.

Take a peice of surgical tubing fill with dry ice and firmly tie of both ends . Quite some time later the hose will have expanded to the burst point and give a cosiderable bang. You of cource have plenty of time to be inocently somewhere else.
Another is to take a blanke long play cassett tape and near the end record something such as "Help let me out" put cassett in player and leave running in a drawer. all is quite for the first hour and then voices come from the drawer.

Innocent humor,
In school we cut off a 16 pennie nail and spot welded it to a small piece of shim stock.
Set it on top of a brand new gerstner tool chest.
Look on the guys face, priceless.

Innocent humor,
In school we cut off a 16 pennie nail and spot welded it to a small piece of shim stock.
Set it on top of a brand new gerstner tool chest.
Look on the guys face, priceless.

The steel door on the men's room somehow was welded shut. Naturally the foreman was inside answering nature’s call at the time.

The steel door on the men's room somehow was welded shut. Naturally the foreman was inside answering nature’s call at the time.

Back