Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GordoU View Post
    ... there was a small link that was used to lock out the differential. It had a hole in each end of it, one end fit over one of the intermediate studs and the other end went on the splined end of the differential shaft and kept it from rotating,
    By Jove, he's absolutely right, Ralph ! Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase looking for the lockout shaft / lever.

If you don't have one, I think you could make one easily enough. It just clamps the diff shaft and keeps it from turning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Emanuel

Sorry for my poor manners. I have been a member here for many years and have not felt I had much to contribute, so many smart people here. Therefore I have not visited much lately either. I was browsing through the other night and the title of this thread happened to catch my eye. As I am always interested in anything with gears involved I took a look and low and behold I thought I had some information that might help. So I posted in a hurry.

As I said in my post I only have experience with two Barber-Colman machines. I have also ran a G&E hobber of 1940's vintage. It too has a similar lockout mechanism for the differential. However the two B&C machines were new enough that some of the controls are electrical, feed, hob spindle start and the like. You mention an engagement lever, did some of the older machines possibly use a lever instead of the link? Just curious.

I have attached a picture, that is, if I did it correctly, seeing as it's my first time. It shows the link I am talking about. It is the red link in the picture attached to the differential drive shaft which has splines to mate with the change gears and the lockout link.

Gordon

lockout-link.jpg

3. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Emanuel

Sorry for my poor manners. I got in a hurry because I thought I had an answer and was in a hurry to post. I am by no means a gear expert and hope I did not come off that way.

I only have experience with the two B&C machines and a G&E machine. They all use a similar lockout mechanism. The B&C machines are new enough to have some of the functions controlled electrically. Is it possible some of the older machines used a lever lockout?

I have attached a picture of the B&C lockout link in our machine. It is of course the red link between the differential and the intermediate stud.

Hello Ralph

Emanuel is correct, a complete book is as essential as the machine is! Especially for the differential.

Gordon

lockout-link.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GordoU View Post
    Hello Emanuel

Sorry for my poor manners.
    Poor manners ! Ha ! You solved his problem, I had him looking for a unicorn ! Your manners are the best, no question !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Gordon.I have been away for a few days.The guy I was helping health got bad and is retiring.So Im going in everyonce in a while to help him.Thanks
    again
    Sincerely
    Ralph

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Gordon
    You are exactly right.I remember the smallpiece with the gears.Thank you again.I relly appreciatw all the help.

Sincerely

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ralph

You are welcome. Good luck with your gear cutting adventures! Gear cutting is a very interesting field.

Gordon