Getting certificate of origin for manufactured trailers?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I live in IL and want to manufacture small cargo trailers. Without success, I have been searching and calling to find out how I get setup to get certificate or origins for them. Anyone know how and where?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your state may be different. Here, if you have a business license and are the builder, you generate your own Certificate of Origin or Manufacturers Certificate. A homeowner can build his/her own and it is titled as a homebuilt and can be traded or sold w/title.

This does not mean that the trailer will meet the over-the-road requirements of your state. Check federal DOT requirements for trailer manufacturers. You might also need liability protection in the event of misadventure with your product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Wayne, your avitar brought back a memory. I did that with a bobby pin when I was about his age. Melted the bobby pin, blew a fuse and burned my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the link but unfortunately they want a large fee for info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try Croft Trailer Supply, they have been supplying components to trailer builders "forever", If anybody would know, they would. You may also want to use them as your primary supplier once you start building.

www.crofttrailer.com

just a satisfied customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just go to your dot office and they can tell you what you need and it is free also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is an older thread but thought I could help out in case anyone else was wondering. As long as you are a legitimate manufacturer of a trailer, vehicle, vessel, etc. (as opposed to someone who just acquired a trailer) then you can get your certificate of origin's at Buy Manufacturer Certificate of Origin's • MCO/MSO Paper, Templates, Labels. They sell quantities as low as 5 on up and have them as blank or custom for just about anything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Brock View Post
    I know this is an older thread but thought I could help out in case anyone else was wondering. As long as you are a legitimate manufacturer of a trailer, vehicle, vessel, etc. (as opposed to someone who just acquired a trailer) then you can get your certificate of origin's at Buy Manufacturer Certificate of Origin's • MCO/MSO Paper, Templates, Labels. They sell quantities as low as 5 on up and have them as blank or custom for just about anything.
    You appear to have no idea what it really takes, don’t bother with your spam

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Listen, I'm sure most everyone on here is knowledgeable in metal work and machining but here is an individual with the request of navigating the paperwork necessary to have a compliant trailer for road use. His question of "how I get setup to get certificate or origins for them. Anyone know how and where?" seems pretty straightforward and my post directs him exactly where to acquire the certificates he's asking for. I get that you think it's spam but rather than crap on the post why don't you contribute to the question and answer it better for future people who may be searching? None of the previous links supplied were avenues of where to actually buy AAMVA compliant certificates.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Listen, I'm sure most everyone on here is knowledgeable in metal work and machining but here is an individual with the request of navigating the paperwork necessary to have a compliant trailer for road use. His question of "how I get setup to get certificate or origins for them. Anyone know how and where?" seems pretty straightforward and my post directs him exactly where to acquire the certificates he's asking for. I get that you think it's spam but rather than crap on the post why don't you contribute to the question and answer it better for future people who may be searching? None of the previous links supplied were avenues of where to actually buy AAMVA compliant certificates.
    Spammer:
    1. dredge up old posting (in this case from 2006)
    2. Very first posting is one long paragraph.
    3. Contained in paragraph is highlighted linky.

You hit all 3, hence the spammer label.

Can't blame us, this being the top of some google searches, gets crapped on
    daily.

So, show us some of your work, tell us some more about the process please.
    I suggest you start a new thread in the fabrication section titled
    "How to build & license trailers....for fun & profit"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Spammer:
    1. dredge up old posting (in this case from 2006)
    2. Very first posting is one long paragraph.
    3. Contained in paragraph is highlighted linky.

You hit all 3, hence the spammer label.

Can't blame us, this being the top of some google searches, gets crapped on
    daily.

So, show us some of your work, tell us some more about the process please.
    I suggest you start a new thread in the fabrication section titled
    "How to build & license trailers....for fun & profit"
    I see what you did there with your checklist, very clever. Your right that I came across this post on Google but I guess my thought of spam is receiving some garbage about irrelevant information you never asked for. In this case the response was both accurate and relevant to his request but here we are clogging up the forum with posts about spam regardless of whether I answered the question or not. If I ever post on a forum a question that someone eventually stumbles across and answers correctly then I'd consider the forum to be succesful as to why it was probably created.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see what you did there with your checklist, very clever. Your right that I came across this post on Google but I guess my thought of spam is receiving some garbage about irrelevant information you never asked for. In this case the response was both accurate and relevant to his request but here we are clogging up the forum with posts about spam regardless of whether I answered the question or not. If I ever post on a forum a question that someone eventually stumbles across and answers correctly then I'd consider the forum to be succesful as to why it was probably created.
    I'm not being "Clever" just honest.

Stop arguing with me, and start that new "How to" thread like I asked you to do.
    I'm sure it will be well received, just as you posted, we are lacking in that knowledge here.
    Last edited by digger doug; 08-14-2018 at 06:03 AM.

17. Likes Aejgx6 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Join the NATM or one of the other government approved good ole boy groups. Pay the dues, get inspected, and pay the government. There is no short and easy answer. The union of trailer manufacturers want to keep the little guys out of the game. If you Want to play you have to pony up. A magic form will not fix it.