What's new
What's new

Grinding Wheel for HSS

I'm not an expert, but I like the white wheel which is on my grinder. I prefer it to the more common grey abrasive wheels, because it keeps the bit cooler.

I don't know what grit it is. The coarse or medium grits are better for roughing out the shape of a toolbit from a blank. Fine grits are better for touching up an existing toolbit. A fine grit will work well if you already have a belt sander in your shop for roughing out the toolbit shape. Also, no matter what grit you use on the grinder, you can always hone down the edge afterwards with a slipstone or a diamond E-Z-Lap.

I believe that the green wheels are made from a different abrasive (silicon carbide) and should not be used on HSS or any steel, because they will crumble away. Green wheels are for grinding carbide and non-ferrous metals.

JohnHC,

I have a 80 grit white alum. oxid. on one side and a gray 40-60 grit on the other side for roughing in. I belive the green wheels are for carbide.

JIm Geib
Mansfield, Oh

Is going on a 6" Balder grider no coolant. Just trying to learn how sharpen HSS tool bit for a small lathe. Thanks for the help..

We use 46 and 60 grit wheels for roughing and 60 or 80 grit for finishing on the hand grinders. Don't use green wheels for steel, they are to soft.

Mike

White : For grinding of most types of steel.
Pink : For grinding High speed & High chrome
steel.
Grey/Purple : For grinding all kinds of tool
steel, & Vanadium alloys.
Blue : For grinding HSS over 55RC, Stainless.
Green : For grinding Carbide & Non metalic
materials of high hardness.
Diamond : Are a girls best friend....

all correct but me

Abrasive Types
Guidelines for Grinding Steel

3SGP, 5SG— Blue ceramic aluminum oxide. Most durable, for moderate to very heavy stock removal on even tough-to-cut tool steels. 3SG Style is an economical blend. 5SG Style is the highest performance blend.
32AA and 32A— Gray aluminum oxide for moderate to heavy stock removal of tool steels; 32AA has a slightly higher removal rate, gives a cooler cut, and has up to twice the life of 32A.
38A— White aluminum oxide. The most friable, for light grinding of all tool steels. Exceptional coolness of cut; ideal for heat-sensitive steel.
37C and 39C— Black (37C) or green (39C) silicon carbide. For use on non-steel materials, especially carbides.
Grit— Available in a range from 46 (roughest) to 150 (finest). Choose the coarsest grit that meets your surface finish and form requirements. Here is a starting guideline:
Grit Approximate Finish Application

46 Rougher than 32 Ra (roughness average) Roughing; heavy stock removal
60 Commercial; finer than 32 Ra General purpose
80 Finer than 20 Ra Fine finish; corner/form holding (.010" radius)

Grade— An indication of hardness ranging from G (softest) to S (hardest). Start with a grade on the softest end of the range to avoid workpiece damage. Try harder grades to improve wheel life and form holding.
Grade/Bond Application Contact Area†

G/VBEP, VSP General purpose Medium-Wide
I/VBE, VH, VS, VTR General purpose Narrow-Medium
K/VBE, VH, VS, VTR Corner/formholding Narrow
† Narrow: Less than 25% of wheel width or less than 1/4" wide
Medium: 25-50% of wheel width or 1/4" - 1/2" wide
Wide: Greater than 50% of wheel width or over 1/2" wide

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?reqtyp=catalog&CtlgPgNbr=2480&sesnextrep=529624578586944

The grinder has a grey wheel i can use that for roughing. Get a white 80 grit for finishing. Is there a website that has pictures of how to sharpen lathe cutters. This is for 6061 aluminum stock 1.5 to 1.415 Thanks for the help

Back