What's new
What's new

Grizzly or Birmingham

CLM

Aluminum
I need to decide between the grizzly & the Birmingham 9 X 49 milling machines. The prices are extremely close, other than that what are the reasons I should choose one over the other. I am leaning toward the Birmingham, but not for any good reason. I would appreciate any input you guys have on this.

Chad

Of the two (new) Birminghams I have seen and messed with, I found the screws and general feel to be much smoother than is typical for the price range in Milling machines. And I think the Birmingham has a Taiwan casting, and higher quality spindle bearings than the Grizzley. I do, however think that Grizzley's warranty service (which I have experienced firsthand) is pretty solid,and they will even send out new parts, trusting that your judgement of defects is accurate.

Everybody says all asian machines are the same, but I sure havent found that to be the case- they may have been cast from the same patterns, but after that there is a real range of quality.
As a tool importer, you can order from a large menu of options- starting with the quality of the castings, the degree of finish, the quality of fasteners, electrics, and other parts, and the sourcing of motors.
I have never owned a Birmingham tool, although I have heard relatively good things about them.
But I agree that availability of parts and service is a big point- I think that Jet and Grizzly are the most reputable when it comes to that- Grizzly starts with cheaper, lower quality tools, but they stock parts in 3 locations across the US, and they are good about replacements. I have been in their main store in Bellingham, and they actually have tools and guys who know how to use them there- a motor rewinding shop, a surface grinder big enough to regrind their biggest tables saw table, etc.
Jet seems to sell higher quality stuff to begin with though- the few Grizz tools I have owned are the cause of constant bad words- in fact right now I need to rebuild the vise on a grizz bandsaw because the way it was designed and built just plain doesnt work, and never would have.
Wheras I have several Jet tools that are over 10 years old, with constant daily use, and they still work fine- granted, mostly support tools like sanders, drill presses and grinders, but I know their milling machines are made in Taiwan, not china, and I would recommend taking a look at them as well.
I know with Jet you can specify made in US motors and pay a little more on many of their tools. And I have had them send me parts for free several times, once on a 20 year old tool.
This is not to say you shouldnt also look at used american made tools- and you know, you can get a brand new bridgeport from MSC for something like 12 grand- only 2 to 3 times the price of a grizz, jet or birmingham.

I agree with Ries about the quality of Jet's tools. I had a DeVilbiss detail spray gun ($130) that developed a problem that came and went but never could be resolved. I bought a Jet knockoff of the same gun ($38 new) and it sprayed a better pattern right out of the box than the DeVilbiss ever did. I've got a Jet jointer in my home woodworking shop and couldn't be better satisfied with it. Bought a Delta tablesaw (made in USA version), and it's okay, but my brother-in-law bought a Jet and it runs as smooth as a Delta Unisaw, and makes my Delta contractor saw look like a bouncing bucking jalopy.

Purchased a Birmingham 16"x 60' large (3 1/8")spindle hole lathe with all the bells and whistles including a Newhall 2-axis DRO. Have had it for about six months. Very tight when received. Speed and feed changes plus feed engagement very hard at first but have smoothed out with use. Machine is very accurate and repeatable. Not a Monarch, but pretty good machine. If it holds up in the long haul I will be happy. Total cost delivered $12,000.

Is getting an american made motor that big of deal? The Grizzly has an american motor,as well as power feed,where the Birmingham does not, but the Grizzly lacks a drawbar if I am understanding their description correctly. I have one of Grizzlys lathes and I love it, but I had heard that their mills weren't as well built as others. I would love to buy a Bridgeport as thats what I have been using, the owner of the machine and my personal friend passed away. His wife was going to sell it to me cheap and then their kids got involved and now I could almost buy a new one for the same money. So I have got to order something in the next day or two. I appreciate the input.

Chad

I owned 2 Birmingham mills that were run 50-55 hours a week in a mold building shop, we were told when we bought them with the exception of a few parts that we should simply buy Bridgeport parts, the 4 parts that we broke in 7 years we replaced with Bridgeport parts and they fit fine.
In my honest opinion Grizzly mills are in no way the same quality that the Birmingham mills are, Grizzly machines fall more in the hobby class where the Birmingham machines are more industrial. By the way we purchased our machines new in 1992 and 1993, both were sold when we closed our business a few years ago, one machine is still in use daily the other I don't remember who bought it from us.
The only real problem we ever had in our 7 1/2 years of using our 2 mills were both switches burned out or broke, we replaced them with an American made switch of the same type used on older Bridgeports and they worked fine.

I owned 2 Birmingham mills that were run 50-55 hours a week in a mold building shop, we were told when we bought them with the exception of a few parts that we should simply buy Bridgeport parts, the 4 parts that we broke in 7 years we replaced with Bridgeport parts and they fit fine.
In my honest opinion Grizzly mills are in no way the same quality that the Birmingham mills are, Grizzly machines fall more in the hobby class where the Birmingham machines are more industrial. By the way we purchased our machines new in 1992 and 1993, both were sold when we closed our business a few years ago, one machine is still in use daily the other I don't remember who bought it from us.
The only real problem we ever had in our 7 1/2 years of using our 2 mills were both switches burned out or broke, we replaced them with an American made switch of the same type used on older Bridgeports and they worked fine.

Do you remember the few parts that weren't interchangeable with the Bridgeport? I need some locking screws for the ways on a BPS-1649C as well as the collet stop set screw.

Thanks

Do you remember the few parts that weren't interchangeable with the Bridgeport? I need some locking screws for the ways on a BPS-1649C as well as the collet stop set screw.

Thanks

You quoted a post from 2004.

You quoted a post from 2004.

Why this turd posting was ever put into the "greatest hits archive" is beyond me….

Newbie does a google search, up pop's this thread, they quickly join up, and without taking a 15 minute look around the place (to see grizzly is a banned subject) start posting away...

And then get all butt hurt when it get's flack & eventually locked.

Back