What's new
What's new

Hands-on Machine Shop course in central NJ

Ken Klose

Plastic
Would anyone be interested in attending an 9 week hands-on machine shop class at Middlesex County Vo-tech in East Brunswick? It's Tuesday evenings from 7 to 10 starting on 4/5.

There are currently 9 registered students, but we need 10 or else the class will be cancelled. The price with materials would be about $82.50 for people claiming to be in-county (Middlesex, NJ). Some minimal machine shop experience would be required (if you can perform simple operation on a mill and/or lathe that's enough). Its not necessary that you reside in NJ, one student is a retired gentleman who drives in from Staten Island, NY. They charge you more if you tell them that you are from out of the county though.

I attended the fall semester of this course and it was good. Historically they don't offer a spring semester due to low interest, however I've spearheaded an effort to round up enough interested students and get the course added. The school has had their open registration nights and came up one student short and is now threatening to cancel the class. All we need is one more interested student for it to run.

The class is very informal. Most everyone has their own project, or project plans can be provided by the instructor. The instructor then assists each student with the skills needed to complete the project. There are plenty of mills and lathes. There is also a large shaper, grinders, EDM and other equipment that I haven't learnt about yet.

You can find more information about the school here http://www.mcvts.net/adult/Adult_eve.htm. Unfortunately they don't list the machine shop class in the course catalog since it was a late addition. You can register in person at the school on most evenings (although not next week due to spring-break). If you are interested please contact the school (phone or in-person) tomorrow so that they will know not to cancel the class.

Ken

Ken,
Just a thought, if push comes to shove, you could each throw in another $10.00 & prevent the class from being cancelled. After the class starts, search for the mystery student to fill the seat.
Ed

Back