What's new
What's new

Has anyone heard of nsk micrometers?

muleworks

Cast Iron
I've just acquired a set of nsk micrometers 1-6". They are made in japan so i was thinking that they were worth the 75.00 I gave for the set with standards. Does anyone know anything about the company or what kind of quality it is?

Chris

Bought one new in '69 - held up good so far.

John

Nippon Seiko Kabushiki Kaisha (no wonder they go by NSK :D ) makes a variety of precision products. Their micrometers are currently imported by Fred V Fowler & marked NSK/Fowler.

They look & feel much like Mitutoyo, and cost about the same, roughly $600 for the set.
----------------------
Barry Milton

I have a 8" NSK dial caliper that needed repairs due to abuse. Sent it to Fowler and had it back within a week, fixed at no charge. I was impressed!

Tks, Bill

I see them around, especially in automotive machine shops. They have a good feel, and the guys there say they wouldn't use anything else.

I pulled out a 6" Starrett scale one day and asked a guy there if he had ever heard of "them."

He said "No, I haven't ever heard of Star-it, but the boss won't let us use cheap chinese stuff."

HAHAHAHHAH

Jackal

P.S. No , I didn't tell him either.

Have a 0-4" NSK depth mike, that's my only NSK tool. Very nice peice, on par with Mitutoyo. I don't know how old it is but it was old when I got it 10 years ago and no complaints. I would imagine their new stuff is still up to par.

I have a 1" NSK micrometer and and a 6" digital caliper. The caliper is marked General/MG, Made in Japan. I have since discovered that it was also sold by Fowler as NSK, Max-Cal series. Even the box with the orange plastic liner is the same. I have had them both for years without any trouble. The only thing that bugs me is that the caliper has a socket for a printer with some non standard plug and the dust cap is missing. Fowler doesn't have it. Silly, but I like my tools complete.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a set in the wooden case of Fowler mic's (6"-12") and a 1"-2" mic marked General but am sure all are NSK brand. Smooth feel and all have carbide faces and .0001" verniers, fit and finish is excellent. I feel like their product is as good as Mitutoyo but I'm picky and didn't like the stamped steel locking lever NSK uses. I found out the satin chrome cast ones for the Mitutoyo's fit like a champ so I ordered some and put them on the NSK's. I might add that I paid $300 for the 6"-12" set at an auction and think it was a fair deal so good score on the smaller set.
Dan

Nippon Seiko Kabushiki Kaisha (no wonder they go by NSK :D ) makes a variety of precision products. Their micrometers are currently imported by Fred V Fowler & marked NSK/Fowler.

They look & feel much like Mitutoyo, and cost about the same, roughly $600 for the set.
----------------------
Barry Milton

Hong Kong shops usually display them side-by-side with Mitutoyo, and price them 10% to as much as 30% lower. There's enough visual diff that I'd suspect they are NSK's lesser-line - at least as far as 'looks'. EG: Painted NSK where the Mitutoyo next to it has superb frosted chrome.

Decent value for money. Historically a lower risk than local Chinese metrology goods HAVE been.

That, too is changing, though.

Bill

The NSK mechanical digitals are similar to their Mitutoyo equivalents (which is high praise). Slightly rougher details (e.g. on the frame castings), but accurately made.

my NSK 0-1", and 0-25MM mics have really sweet solid steel satin chrome locking levers. .073 round pins. bought new in the 1980s, maybe at Eastern Tool on Grand St. in Manhattan, if I remember..

just looked at the inspection date on the 1" unit, its June 9 th 1967!! never took it out of the baggie and looked. just been using it, and somehow, the chamois, booklet, decimal equivalent chart and inspection card are still there in the top of the grey plastic box..not matching numbers tho. they had to have come in a wooden box in "67, I'd imagine?

I have a NSK 6 inch dial caliper dial caliper I got in the 70's at a military auction. I still use it everyday for roughing in. Well almost everyday. :D

I used NSK dial bore gauges and mic's for many years in the 60's and early 70's in my bike shop, no problems and good service. Purchased and backed by my Snap-On dealer.

Back