What's new
What's new

home made 5c chuck done!

j king

Stainless
Finally got this thing done.I really wanted one of these for the lathe.Way to pricey for me so I made one.Didnt want a draw bar type so I figuged out and designed my version.I used a planetary gear out of an automatic transmission.First I tried to use the whole gear cluster housing but there wasnt room for bolts to clear the 4 gears.So me being the wiz made a new gear cluster housing using 3 planetary gears.Came out nice but didnt work!Using only 3 gears spaced around the center gear and inside the outer gear caused the gears not to mesh.Dang.Back to the drawing board.I then removed 2 gears and all was well.Made 2 dummy blanks to take the place of the 2 missing gears to balance all.
Hey Sandman.There is your aluminum piece I bought off you for the handwheel.

I also had to make the D1-3 mount.That was easy to fit.I was worried about getting a perfect fit as it would determine the repeatability once was removed and then reinstalled.
Assembled all and nevously did final assembly and it runs true. I am super pleased!Wanted to show this off since it has been such a project..

Here are some pics of pieces and one of the completed chuck..

may06020.jpg

may06019.jpg

may06015.jpg

may06012.jpg

may06009.jpg

may06008.jpg

may06025.jpg

Thanks guys.It is nice to have someone appreciate ones work.Wife walked by and I showed her and she couldnt figure out what I had made till I showed her."Thats nice" she said as she walked away as I was trying to pick out a collet to show her how it works...Jim

Have you got a 6" pipe wrench to undo it with when it gets stuck or your hands are greasy? :D Just kidding. Looks really nice. Does it torque up good and tight easily?

BTW, interesting problem with the gear spacing on 3 versus 4 gears. I never thought about it before. I suppose a guy could find 3 non-equal spacings that would work, but how?

Nice work!, How long did it take (working hours)
from planning to completion?

Thank you all again.

Matt. No just free handed it.I do alot of large radi at work on stuff and have learned to follow a tool around a radi fairly good.

Dualkit . Dont know how long.I would think about it alot while at work and then forget about it for a while.If I was to guess I would say probably 25 hrs.Alot of beer drinking and thinking time went into it. :D I really had fun on this.No hurry..

HuFlungDung . I hope it doesnt get stuck!It has a thrust bearing in it to keep it from getting too tight.I was going to mill "dents" around the handwheel for grip but I dont think I need it and I like the smooth feel.As far as the spacing I couldnt figure out how to calculate it.I was stumped.I figured I could lay the 3 gears around the center gear and then slip the outer gear ring over and the transfer but I figured I really only needed 1 gear anyway.Would have been much easier with 1 if I would have thought about it from the start.

Ummm wow what a project bet the nose was turned right on the spindle so its got "0" runout how cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not like my damned Harding 5c chuck that needs the nose to be turned on the machine.
Best Regards
Matt

Back