What's new
What's new

Hommel - any owners here?

bralex

Cast Iron
I sort of asked this in the classifieds, but I have a few questions about a Hommel all-in-one machine that I picked up recently. If anyone here owns one, I'd appreciate your dropping me a PM. Specifically, details about the motor power requirements (not covered in manual) and a few differences between my compound and that shown in the manual.

On a related note, I am also looking for some accessories for my Hommel - again drop me a PM if you have any.

Thanks all,
Scott

Hi
I have 2 hommel uwg2,did you get a uwg1 or a uwg2?What do you want to know?Did i understand you right that you want to know something about the hommel-motors(power,weight etc),you use other motors for tooling??Right?Sorry for my bad english,could we talk in german?
greetings from germany

Wofuer wird ein Homel gebraucht? Da is einer on ebay zum Verkauf angeboten, man kann aber nicht viel ueber den Zweck oder Funktion lernen. Ganz schoen teuere machine.

(what is a hommel used for, they have one on ebay but the description doesn't tell much about what it is being used for)

Where ist a Hommel on ebay?We talking about a UWG,that means universal workshop machine.The firm hommel build it till 1970.It was very expensive,because it was designed for army( U-boats,planes,shpis etc, places with only a little place for tooling) or schools,these organisations dont have to save money :), the complete machine with all equipment costs in 1970 ca 45-50000 Euro(i have an old price list!!!!The hommel uwgs are little machines,wichever can fast rebuild - for example from a lathe to a mill,grinding-machine,slotting machine,drilling machine... or whatever.It takes only a few minutes.The machine ist very very precise.
The people like it ,you need only 1 hommel and are able to do all metal-work(of course only if you get all the equipment) on only 1 work table.On www.enhydralutris.de ist a little example.
I am searching all the time some more equipment.
greets

Richard - Tony's website (www.lathes.co.uk/hommel) has a very thorough writeup. Basically it is a very well built and capable small machine. For it's size, it is quite rigid and accurate. I picked up mine with the idea that, aside from being nice in it's own right, it can cover for tools I would only use occasionally, like a surface grinder. Many, many configurations possible in a small space. I'm still interested in trading/buying accessories as well.
-Scott

I have a Hommel. Need colletts and some other tooling.
Can supply 200 or so page manual. I will be in Germany, 12 December 2009. I am disparate for someone to talk to. I live in
Manhattan Beach, California

Thanks,
Don Winfrey

Don, where in Germany?

Please show us a picture of the motor, there were a few models that were used. AC, DC, geared...

Cheers,
Johann

Don and Johann,

I don't have a Hommel, but my Astoba SWM Universal lathe/mill appears to be a close copy. Here are a few pictures. My motor is AC, with the start capacitor separate from the motor in a device box hung on the wall. It's not for sale, but I'll be happy to share any pictures, measurements or other info that might be useful.

Bob
Michigan, USA

Astobalathe1.jpg

Astobamill1.jpg

Astobathreadcutting1-1.jpg

I was sent a Hommel UWG-1 from Weiden Germany to use in our shop here. The fellows in Germany took great lengths to completely rebuild the machine to make it perfect both mechanically and esthetically. The problem is the wiring. I took the motor to an electromechanical engineering outfit here in LA and they are saying they need to rewind the motor, make it 3-phase, and build a small box to allow me to change speeds while retaining torque at low speeds. Does this sound right?

That sounds like an expensive solution. Could you post a photo of the motor and the plate? Do you want a 3 ph motor so you'll have variable speed? If so you could just buy one of these Consew motors for about $115. I use one on an Astoba KWM. It's smaller, lighter and more powerful than the original.

Redirecting to https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-CSM1000-Machine-SM550-1-PLKHG484UY5151/dp/B016EJ1WB6/ref=pd_lpo_201_t_0/131-1700373-5606508?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016EJ1WB6&pd_rd_r=a01a3537-44f1-4484-92ee-1a31009d1ba5&pd_rd_w=qNVnp&pd_rd_wg=gIrkn&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=FB3A5GTQ6Q9D13BSMN2Z&psc=1&refRID=FB3A5GTQ6Q9D13BSMN2Z

Back